How to redefine MAC preview opening configuration

Reaction score
For as long as I have been using MAC preview app, it always opens off center, always on the left ide of desktop screen, any software or coding I can use to make any preview image open centered on the screen???

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Do you have an external display connected?
-Does this only affect the Preview application?
-Does this happen for every file opened with Preview?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Do you have an external display connected?
-Does this only affect the Preview application?
-Does this happen for every file opened with Preview?

C
IMAC 27" Newest Solid State drive
Big sur latest
No
Yes
Yes, has been happening to every IMAC since 2012.
If i select full screen it 9gree button) appears centered.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-Have you done a migration from each Mac through the years? If so, it may be a preference file that is corrupted and is being brought forward.
-Also, does the issue happen with PDFs as well as images - i.e. all files?
-Have you tried creating another user on the Mac, logging into it, and opening a file in Preview there to see if the issue happens?

I haven't seen this issue before, so I am just trying to get as much information as possible.

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-Have you done a migration from each Mac through the years? If so, it may be a preference file that is corrupted and is being brought forward.
-Also, does the issue happen with PDFs as well as images - i.e. all files?
-Have you tried creating another user on the Mac, logging into it, and opening a file in Preview there to see if the issue happens?

I haven't seen this issue before, so I am just trying to get as much information as possible.

C
Thank you for you quick response. Doesn't happen with any other files, only Preview. I am a long time MAC user and a little bit techno nerd so I am fairly knowledgeable. I tried another user test, still happens.

Your comment about pref file corruption seems most logical, because it has been going on for 10+ years, and probably followed files when I transferred from my external hard drive manually, or using Time Machine or Carbonite backup to a new computer, which has been 4 times since 2010 (not including erasing hard drive and reinstalling OS for various othjer problems thru the years to solve other problems). I just thought that it was inherent in the app. The only thing I noticed lately is that after I open a preview file and when it showed up to the laft, that if I pressed the full screen (green button) when it did go to full screen it was centered. That's OK for some reasons maybe to make prints? But otherwise I need to see the desktop most times to edit, select files, and check mail etc. If I click the yellow button after centering a preview window image it goes to the dock, when I open the window again it appears centered, but only after have I previously manually centered a preview image. If I save and quit app, then open again it shows up off centered gain. Even with restart or shutdown- restart.

Ask a Question