SOLVED The trackpad of my 2012 MacBook Air is growing increasingly unsensistive.

Reaction score
The trackpad of my 2012 MacBook Air is growing increasingly unsensistive. Normally I hit it two or three times to get a reaction, sometimes many more. What should I do? I slowly got used to this, but now I find it unbearable.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Normally, if the trackpad is physically getting harder to click, it can be foreign material is lodged around/under it, or the battery is swelling underneath it.

You could try enabling tap to click or use an external Bluetooth mouse/trackpad. You could also have an Apple Store/Apple Authorized Service Provider take a look at it. They can fully test it and clean it if need be.

C

Reaction score
I had the same problem - took it to the store, and they replaced it.
This only lessened the problem, so I took it back and told them about the swelling battery problem.
They deemed this was the issue, and replaced it at no charge, since I already paid for the initial repair.

Reaction score
The trackpad of my 2012 MacBook Air is growing increasingly unsensistive. Normally I hit it two or three times to get a reaction, sometimes many more. What should I do? I slowly got used to this, but now I find it unbearable.

It sounds like a symptom of battery bloat which can happen when the battery ages. It expands which then pushes up on the trackpad making it gradually less and less sensitive. If this is happening, there may already be a perceived bulge in the thickness of the device underside which can be easy to see if you look at the device edge on.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Normally, if the trackpad is physically getting harder to click, it can be foreign material is lodged around/under it, or the battery is swelling underneath it.

You could try enabling tap to click or use an external Bluetooth mouse/trackpad. You could also have an Apple Store/Apple Authorized Service Provider take a look at it. They can fully test it and clean it if need be.

C
Thank for sharing with us

Ask a Question