How to Record TV Programs

Reaction score
QUESTION: Have TV Program suppiers found a way to keep people from (1.) burning a TV program to a DVD Disc using a Mac or DVD Recorder?? Recently I have been unable to: (2.) Burn TV programing to a DVD disk, & then... (3.). Upload the DVD to a Mac & then... (4.) Edit the content with a Mac (Add captions & cut unwanteded content & then burn it to a DVD. I've been able to create DVD's for educational use in the past. Now I can't burn TV content to a DVD disc with either a Mac or a DVD Recorder! CONFUSED!!! (I am using Dish Network as the content source) Thanx in advance for any help! Mr. D (Retired teacher)

Reaction score
What are you using to record the TV? What file format are the recordings? How were you previously burning recordings to dvds?

Reaction score
In the past (1.) I would use a regular DVD Recorder attached to the Dish Network box. There are 3 outlets coming out of the Dish network box: ( Video & R & L sound.) (2.) Then I would use Handbrake to convert it to mp4 form. (3.) Then I dragged ithe mp4 into a an old Mac editing app called iMovie HD. After a long loading period & could use iMovie HD to create what I wanted. WHY NOT.. use one of the newer iMovie programs? Way too complicated for doing simple editing of Home Movie stuff. I don't want to take a 6 week class! I think Apple is missing out by having "only" very complicated editing programs when most only want to be able to edit vacation movies & are not interested in making a "Bollywood Movie"! Look at iMovie HD & you'll see what I mean! SOOO simple for what 95% of people need! If any one has an "Old Mac" around running OS 10.6.8 check out a great, simple application called iMovie HD. So simple & easy for what most people want to do with family videos. I edited videos shot on a two month trip in Europe every night when we got back to our hotels freeing up Camera recording space. I'm 79, & I still prefer having my family videos on DVD's! I know it is old school, but it has a lot of advantages as I can make multiple copies for safety & to give to others so easily. Newer is usually better, but it often had downsides! I've been on tours with "Modern Tech Types" that lost their camera & memories. Every night my Trip videos went on to DVD were duplicated for safety's sake! My house burns down my kids have DVD's of all my trips at their homes! Just an Old guy's point of view!

Thanx in advance for any ideas or help! Let me know if you need advice on firearms, Hot Rods or RVing our Travel Tours. Had fun with all!

Attachments

• CZ 17 HMR.jpg
    CZ 17 HMR.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 62
  • My Mustang Frt2.jpg
    My Mustang Frt2.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 68
Reaction score
I was using standard DVD Recorders plugged into the 3 plugs coming out of the back of the Dish Network Joey (which is the secondary unit used to transfer signal into bedrooms. There are 3 out plugs R. & L. audio & video. It has worked until weeks ago. MY QUESTION IS: "Has Dish Network & other companies found a way to keep me from making copies of content from their content source??? If so, any way to get around it??? I want to make education videos for a my son's Science Dept.! I am a 79 yr old Retired Science teacher with a Master's Degree in Science trying to help teachers during Science teaching with the restrictions caused by "Covid" . Let me know what I have to do to copy content off DISH NETWORK for educational use during home teaching during Covid! HELP!

Thanx on advance for any help!

Attachments

102.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Mr. %22D%22.jpg
    Mr. %22D%22.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 57
Reaction score
SIMPLE QUESTION: Are the DVD Recorders of today "UNABLE" to record videos of TV presentations? I have been using a DVR perfectly that recentally stopped recording! Though it was broken, & bought a "new" one "online" & it will not record in the same way! Yikes! I suspect the TV industry has developed a way to stop people from recording TV shows... so you will be required to buy them if you want to keep them permenentally or even for a short, legal time as in educational usage!

Can anyone confirm, or deny my suspicions? HELP!!

Thanx in advance, for any help or info!

Thanx, Mr. D

Signed, Mr. "D"
Dave's Classroom.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Most digital video content is protected by DRM (digital rights management), including DVD/Blu-ray discs, and all STB (set-top box) devices from cable/satellite providers, especially on digital outputs - HDMI/DVI/TOSLINK optical audio, etc. Recording from their outputs is in violation your "contract" with their service, and technically also violates copyright of the media itself. This is one reason that the digital age brought built-in DVR functionality, which replaced the old lower quality VCRs...to allow subscribers to record shows to watch at a later time, not to build a personal library. In addition, you have probably noticed that almost all TV shows are available for sale now on disc or via streaming services, which may have shifted licensing to be more restrictive with regards to personal recording.

My experience and understanding of any exceptions for educational use are more geared towards printed material, and showing/broadcasting copyrighted A/V material in class on projectors, video displays, etc. I am not aware of any legal way to manually copy/duplicate copyrighted digital video material for personal or educational use.

All that said, it may have worked for you previously, but it sounds like DISH Network and/or other device manufacturers may have implemented their copyright protection onto the analog outputs as well. If so, there isn't any legal way to go around the protection, as that would constitute breaking their licensing rules and possibly legal laws as well. Doing so would be reminiscent of folks that illegally hacked their cable box with third-party chips back in the day to get the "pay channels" for free. ;)

Of course, I am not an expert by any means, nor do I have any experience with the workflow you are using. But, I personally am a supporter of DRM and all copyright laws, as many of my friends make their living in the music/movie/writing/photography/art industries.

There may be some information on the DISH support website regarding any change they may have implemented.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but I sincerely thank you for all of your work in the educational field. It is appreciated!

C

P.S. My comments are not meant to condemn nor condone, just for the safety of all. ;)

Ask a Question