Stereo Recording on Mac Mini

37Shannon

Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini (late 2014) that I've been using to record my record collection onto iTunes using GarageBand. Lately I've discovered that the audio input port is dropping one of the stereo channels from my amp. I've eliminated the phonograph stylus, amp and cables as possible problems, and there is a straight cable run from the amp's tape-out plugs to the MAC - no couplers or adapters. So, it appears that the loss of channel is in the Mac itself. Is there some kind of USB-to-male-3.5mm-miniplug adapter that I can use to replace the malfunctioning line-in port on the Mac? The idea is to plug the 3.5mm mini plug into the USB adapter, and plug the USB adapter into an available USB port on the Mac, and have OS X recognize that connection as an audio line-in connection.

Ad

Advertisements

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

A few things to try:
-Another cable
-Switch the left/right on the tape outs and see if the lost channel switches

C

37Shannon

Reaction score
No, actually I need the reverse. The thing you posted the link for takes a USB input and changes it to mini-plug, whereas I need mini-plug to USB. There are plenty of such devices out there, but they all seem to be for headphones, and I'm not sure whether they would work as an audio input device.

37Shannon

Reaction score
Hello,

A few things to try:
-Another cable
-Switch the left/right on the tape outs and see if the lost channel switches

C
It does. That is how I eliminated the cable as an issue. I even replaced the cables I was using with a brand new cable, but the problem remains.

Ad

Advertisements

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I would recommend a USB audio interface. Depending on your budget, devices like the Behringer UCA202 ($29 USD)/UCA222 ($38 USD) work well for this. They also have one specifically for turntable to USB - UFO202 ($29 USD).

Behringer - Computer Audio Interfaces

There are others as well, but these have pretty good reviews on Amazon.

C

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question