I can't save a screen recording using QuickTime

Reaction score
Issue Description:
While I was trying to screen record a long video(1-2 hours) an issue emerged:
After hitting QuickTime stop button on my menu bar, the screen record couldn't be saved. Meaning, no screen record is prompted so I can save it.

The thing is when I screen record a short video(0-10 minutes) there's no issue:
After hitting QuickTime stop button on my menu bar, the screen record could be saved. Meaning, the preview screen record is prompted to save it.

Some people on the forums say I need more space in my hard drive but I got 800GB available. So that's not the case for me.

I don't know If this issue is machine-specific. But please, give it a try and consider to reproduce this issue in your machine.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Open QuickTime app
  2. In the menu bar click File | New Screen Recording
  3. You'll be prompted with a bar at the bottom. Click Record.
  4. Wait at least 1 hour and click the stop icon in the menu bar.
What is the expected correct behavior?
Long screen recordings(1-2 hours) Should do the exact same behavior as with short videos.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-What resolution is your screen?
-How large is a 10 minute screen recording video on your Mac?

I do think I remember hearing there may be a time limit, but I can't find anything official.

I did a quick test of a 10 minute screen recording on my iMac at 1920x1080, and the file size is approximately 200 MB. That would calculate to about 1.2 GB per hour. Not sure what it would be like on a 4K/5K iMac resolution. Since 4K is four times the resolution as HD (my iMac), simple math would state that a 10 minute screen recording would be 4 x 200 MB = 800 GB. That would calculate out to be roughly 4.8 GB per hour...far under your 800 GB of free space. Of course, those numbers are a guesstimate, as I don't have a 4K/5K iMac to test and see how resolution affects the size of a screen recording in QuickTime Player. Also, screen capturing static images probably produces a far smaller size file than a lot of motion or video.

Hope that helps a bit,

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory Cooper, Thanks for the reply.

1591123552390.png

Hardware Info:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac18,3
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: 183.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.41f2
1591123700913.png

Software Info:
System Version: macOS 10.15.5 (19F101)
Kernel Version: Darwin 19.5.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: JVM
User Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
System Integrity Protection: Enabled
Time since boot: 1:10

Display Info:
1591123468751.png

PS: When I was trying to screen record I couldn't screen record 5 minutes long. at the beginning of the screen recording my mac crashed and forced me to restart while displaying a weird error:
Iri0O.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I edited out your serial number and user name above for security purposes.

Did it only kernel panic this time you attempted to record, or does it happen every time?

C

Ask a Question