Quicktime Screen Recorder

Reaction score
Hello! I wish to say I find the application very disappointing when it comes to recording movement (stuff like rain or snow falling, bird wings flapping, waves at sea) - you get blurry blobs or sometimes when you record the flight of a bird moving from side to side of the recording screen, you only see one blurry image in the middle. A friend suggested that it may be the frame rate. The application yields the same results on different Macs. I guess there is no plan to improve on results? What would be a better alternative to Quicktime screen recorder?

Many thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Which version of QuickTime Player?
-What is the source of video that you are trying to use Screen Capture using QuickTime Player?

C

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Which version of QuickTime Player?
-What is the source of video that you are trying to use Screen Capture using QuickTime Player?

C
Hello, Cory and thank you for taking an interest.

One Mac I use is 10.6.8 (Tiger, I believe?). Here the Quicktime player is 10.0 (131). It uses Firefox and the live streams I record from are on Youtube (American Eagle Foundation, explore.org and Eagle Country amongst others).

The other Mac is a Mavericks - 10.9.5. It has Quicktime player version 10.3 (727.4) installed on it and it uses Google Chrome. Sources of recording same as above.

The results are the same in terms of poor movement recording performance. Other YouTubers who capture and publish screen recordings from the same live streams have much smoother results, wing movement and all.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

From your additional information, it sounds like it may be due to the older Mac hardware and software. I just did a test recording of one of the live streams with my 2009 iMac running macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra, using Safari 13.0.5 and QuickTime Player 10.4, it it is definitely not as smooth as the live YouTube feed.

10.6.8 is actually Snow Leopard (2011), which is pretty old at this point. 10.9.5 Mavericks (2014) is a little newer, but still behind today's technologies. Because of the age of the version of OS X and the hardware it is running on, I would guess it may be difficult to get smooth video from a screen capture in QuickTime Player.

I am not sure you would get better results with other software either, due to the hardware/software limitations. You may be able to find some of those videos that could be downloaded, rather than screen recorded, with software like MacX YouTube Downloader or Free YouTube Downloader for Mac.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Hello,

From your additional information, it sounds like it may be due to the older Mac hardware and software. I just did a test recording of one of the live streams with my 2009 iMac running macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra, using Safari 13.0.5 and QuickTime Player 10.4, it it is definitely not as smooth as the live YouTube feed.

10.6.8 is actually Snow Leopard (2011), which is pretty old at this point. 10.9.5 Mavericks (2014) is a little newer, but still behind today's technologies. Because of the age of the version of OS X and the hardware it is running on, I would guess it may be difficult to get smooth video from a screen capture in QuickTime Player.

I am not sure you would get better results with other software either, due to the hardware/software limitations. You may be able to find some of those videos that could be downloaded, rather than screen recorded, with software like MacX YouTube Downloader or Free YouTube Downloader for Mac.

Hope that helps,

C
Thank you again for following up my query! May I just ask if I understood correctly what you wrote, i.e. that even with a more up-to-date system you could not get smooth results using QuickTime? For me, downloading is not an option - the live streams run 24 hours a day so, of necessity, I must screen-record the scenes I am interested in :) It looks like for me, the only chance is to upgrade the Mavericks and find a better screen recording system :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Correct. Using your Mac with an update OS probably wouldn't produce better results, as you can see from my test. I current Mac may, but I haven't tested that.

There are other third-party products that may record live streams better, but I am not sure if that would work on your current setup. Honestly, I haven't tried recording live streams in my experience, so maybe someone here that has will chime in.

C

Reaction score
Thank you so much for responding, and let's hope that some Mac Fairy chimes in!

Cheers!

Ask a Question