Converting a quicktime file to mp3 format

Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can help with this. I recorded a short audio file in Quicktime and exported it to ITunes and added it to a playlist. I need to convert it to the MP3 format and don't see anyway in ITunes to do this. Some onlline instructions said to click on "Advanced" in ITunes and go from there. I didn't see this option anywhere in ITunes. Can anyone advise?

Running OSX 10.11.6, El Capitan.

Thanks,
(e-mail address removed)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-With iTunes open, in the menu bar click iTunes > Preferences... > General > When a CD is inserted - Import Settings...
-Import Using: change to MP3 Encoder and change Setting: to the quality you want, then click OK
-Then, click to select the track you want to convert in your Library, then in menu bar click File > Convert > Create MP3 version
-You can then click and drag the MP3 version to the Desktop

Let us know if that doesn't work for you.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Cory, but no CD was involved. I just recorded myself in Quick Time and moved the recording to ITunes after creating a playlist. It's an AAC file, so I guess the question now is: how do I convert this AAC file in ITunes to an MP3? I'm hoping I can do this without having to get third party software.

I just read the AAC has a better audio quality than MP3, but I have to submit a musical audition file and the requirements state that it must be in MP3 format. Thank you.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

The steps above will work...that is how you change the Convert option (third step above) in iTunes. You can ignore the CD part.

C

Reaction score
Mega thanks; I'm getting there. Followed your instructions. It seemed to work; the little electronic blip went off. But when I clicked on the file to get info and went over to the "File" drop down, it still showed 'kind: AAC audio file." Did I do something wrong? Or is it now an MP3 file, but just not showing the change? Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If the settings are correct as above, when you perform the Convert step, it should add a second copy of the audio file in MP3 format in your iTunes Library. Did it do that?

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
This is Apple's version of the steps:

Convert songs that are already in your iTunes library
  1. Open iTunes.
  2. Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences.
    Windows: From the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window, choose Edit > Preferences.
  3. Click the General tab, then click Import Settings in the lower section of the window.
  4. Click the menu next to Import Using, then choose the encoding format that you want to convert the song to.
  5. Click OK to save the settings.
  6. From your library, select one or more songs that you want to convert.
  7. Choose File > Convert, then Create [format] Version. The format shown is the one that you chose in step 4. For example, if you chose Apple Lossless Encoder, select Create Apple Lossless Version.
New song files appear in your library next to the original files.

C

Reaction score
If the settings are correct as above, when you perform the Convert step, it should add a second copy of the audio file in MP3 format in your iTunes Library. Did it do that?

It created a second file, but for some reason the format is MPEG (after I chose Convert to MP3). this doesn't seem to be playable in itunes. Is MPEG supposed to be the same as MP3? thanks for your help. I am making progress here.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
MP3 stands for MPEG-1 Audio Layer III. It is an MPEG audio file. If you Get Info on the newly created file in iTunes, it will have the .mp3 extension.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
FYI for the future, if you use GarageBand to record your audio, you then then simply choose Share > Export Song to Disk... and save it as an MP3 file directly. That saves the steps of importing and converting using iTunes.

C

Reaction score
Can't thank you enough, Cory. Will take your advice and use GarageBand next time. Looks like I'm all set.

Ask a Question