SOLVED Annotations and Quicktime

Reaction score
So I have an application that makes a movie file, and it sticks an annotation on it -- "My Great Movie", such that when you open the movie in Quicktime, that annotation is displayed at the top center of the Quicktime screen. How in the world do you change it? That annotation is also displayed prominently in boldface at the top when you open up the Movie Inspector. Now, you'd think it would be just displaying the filename, but ...

You've GOT to be able to change the text that labels the whole Quicktime display! How???

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

What app is creating the movies - iMovie? That's the one I have seen add My Great Movie.

Can you upload an image of the issue?

C

Reaction score
Elgato Video capture. If you neglect to label your movie in Elgato Video Capture, that's what it sticks on as a default "annotation". This is separate from the filename, which you can obviously change whenever you want. The issue is how to change that annotation. (No, Elgato Video Capture won't replace the annotation for you.) I believe Quicktime Player 7 had a way of doing it. Can't figure out how to do it in the modern Quicktime.

Reaction score
Wait, so you're saying you CAN'T change annotations in the new Quicktime?? I have Quicktime 7, but I was assuming I didn't need to use it.

Reaction score
OK, the deal is that this stuff is what is called "metadata", which is not easily changed. Now, Quicktime Player 7 CAN edit it, but in that application it is called "Name" or "Title". The Movie Properties is a little unclear about that. I think both are considered "annotations". If the updated Quicktime can't deal with that metadata, it's just crap. Updated Quicktime can't change the NAME or TITLE of a movie? Whoeeee.

There is a tiny application called Metadata Hootenanny (MetaHoot), which allegedly can allow you to edit the metadata, but I haven't figured out how to use it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Correct...Apple removed that capability in QuickTime Player X. QuickTime Player 7 can edit it as "Name".

Correct...it is all metadata, which is present in many digital files, especially photos, audio/video files, etc. Like the little tags on iTunes music/movies. Some can be accessed directly, others need metadata editors like you mentioned.

C

Reaction score
Kinda nasty that Quicktime can't any longer change the TITLE of a video. What were they thinking?

Reaction score
Metadata Hootenanny is the trick. The whole thing is just 4MB, so why they couldn't have just added that capability to Quicktime is beyond me. But I have packaged that application in my Quicktime folder. It will work on many movie formats, but saves only as .mov, so it is pretty Quicktime-specific. Of course, having saved as .mov, there are plenty of ways to get back to .mp4, etc.

Of course, this metadata editing facility is available in Compressor, which Apple is happy to sell you.

Last edited:

Ask a Question