How to delete invisible .plist file in User Preferences?

Reaction score
DriveGenius 3 is all of a sudden alerting me of a corrupted plist file in the User Preferences. The file in question is invisible when I open the Preferences folder. However, using the Terminal, the file is listed. When I use the rm command in the Terminal, even when logged into my Admin account, I am told by the Terminal the file does not exist.

Does anybody know where this plist file comes from?
Is there a way to make the file visible?
How can I delete it, if I can't see it in the Preferences folder?
Is there a solution involving the Terminal other than the "rm" command, which does not work?

Below the alert that DriveGenius 3 has sounded daily for the a few days.

corrupt-02_zps6b46958e.jpg

Reaction score
DriveGenius 3
these programs make problems. It doesn't matter that a plist is empty. If you delete it phg-home will just make another, if you never use phg-home again then nothing else will use that file. So DriveGenius is upsetting you about nothing, literally.

Hold down the Option Key and Library will be in the Go menu.

Reaction score
Thanks for you reply.

I have used DriveGenius 3 for over a year without any issues.

After doing some research, the pesky plist is definitely due to me downloading a countdown timer from phg-home.com Web site a few days ago. That's when DG3 alerted me to that plist the first time. I did delete the timer, but the plist persists.

I have the User Library visible, so using the Go menu doesn't accomplish anything else (as far as I know - please correct me if I'm wrong). The plist in question is invisible. I can make it visible in the Terminal. When I use the "rm" command, the Terminal tells me the file does not exist.

There must be a way to delete that plist.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Follow-up: The solution was right in front of me all the time. After DG 3 runs "Verify Preferences" I was given at the bottom of the window the option to "Remove Files." See the image in my initial post. I was hesitant to click "Remove Files," because I was unsure this was pertaining only to corrupted files (Yes, I am timid when comes to computers). I finally tried "Remove Files," and it did remove the corrupted plist.

What I still don't know is how I could have deleted the invisible plist without DG 3. Maybe there is a way using Disk Utility, or other maintenance applications, and "Verify Preferences," which may also give the option to delete corrupted files?

Last edited:
Reaction score
No website should be able put files into your Library.
Nothing says this file is/was invisible.
All you had to do was go into your Preferences Folder and delete it.

Reaction score
No website should be able put files into your Library.
I don't know if the Web site put the plist in my User Preferences. I presume the plist showed up after downloading the countodown timmer application.

Nothing says this file is/was invisible.

I am repeating myself for the third time now:

1. the plist file was NOT VISIBLE when I checked in mu User Prefernces Folder.
2. The plist file WAS VISIBLE when I searched for it in the Terminal.
3. When I used the rm command in the Terminal, the Terminal claimed the file did not exist.

Maybe I should have said the file was "hidden"? To me, if I can't SEE it it is invisible. Sorry if I got the jargon wrong.

All you had to do was go into your Preferences Folder and delete it.

I did check my User Preferences folder over and over. The file was not to be found anywhere. Neither Spotlight nor EasyFind could find it. The plist was invisible, hidden, whatever you want to call it. I could find the file ONLY VIA THE TERMINAL when running ls -a /Users/Tom/Library/Preferences/.

Reaction score
Sorry, what is your question?

Why do you reply to me if you never bothered reading my initial and my following posts? I prefer replies from people who read what I have written. Feel free to ignore me from now on.

Ask a Question