Recover deleted item

Reaction score
I emptied my rather full Trash -- not a Secure Empty Trash -- and then discovered a file on my desktop was missing. I may have (somehow) inadvertently deleted that file. Is there any way I can recover it?

Reaction score
Need to ask you sone questions:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you using?

3. Have you ever done an disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? By that I mean have you ever run any disk-related software to help with those tasks? There are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that.

4. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device? If yo are, what software are you using for that?

5. Any idea what type of file it was?

Reaction score
I emptied my rather full Trash -- not a Secure Empty Trash -- and then discovered a file on my desktop was missing. I may have (somehow) inadvertently deleted that file. Is there any way I can recover it?
It's an iMac desktop and the OS is 10.6.8. I have not heretofore run and disk cleanup etc. but at the moment I and seeing what Disk Drill can do for me (I discovered some previous threads where Disk Drill was recommended). I am making backups in the cloud but have not seen the missing file there and have just queried them to see if that file is anywhere to be found. The file contained word files, PDFs and Jpegs.

Reaction score
Are you making backup to an external drive along-with icloud? I would also like to add Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery for empty trash recovery. You can try its trial version. I used Disk Drill but found Stellar more handy. Good Luck.

Reaction score
Thank you. I will keep Stellar in mind, but I hope not to have this problem again, although I still don't know how it happened. There appears to have been something wrong with the search function in my cloud backup program but the tech support folks were able to find my file for me. I do appreciate everyone's help.

Ask a Question