Delete Map locations

Reaction score
iPhone 6s iOS 11.2.6
I asked about this in Nov 2017 and the answer worked then. Now not so. How do I delete map addresses once I no longer need them? I tried the sweep left and “remove” and it works some time. It doesn’t work for addresses that are also stored in Contacts or happen to be in the “location” area on the Calendar. How can those be removed? Do I need to go back in the calendar and remove the address fro each occurrence? That would be one great pain in the rear, take a long time, and still not work if I missed one of the occurrences.
Help! Please.

Reaction score
Cory, the instruction you provided is the one to which I referred regarding what worked in November 2017, but does not work now. The change has been the iOS I am using. In November it was 10 point something, now it is 11 point something. I have discovered, from being an Apple Mac user since 1983, that all changes by Apple are not improvements, they are merely changes. Tapping "remove" does not work all of the time now. I tried the share to "notes" proposition also. I tapped the share button in maps, then saved to a new note in notes, then went to maps again and tapped the remove button. The location was not removed from maps. Now I have an unwanted location in two places, maps, and notes. Fortunately the delete button still works in notes so I was able to delete the unwanted location from that app. However, it is still in maps, where it remains unwanted.
Any other ideas.

Reaction score
Cory, I just tried something else, I deleted MAPS App from my phone. I then reloaded MAPS App from the Apple Store and ... wait for it ... VOILA, TA DA the unwanted locations are now gone.
I found a solution. Not an elegant solution, but a solution.
Fell free to use it at no charge from me.
Thanks for your time.
hankdz2

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Yeah, Apple must have changed something. Too bad you had to take a big step like that, but at least it worked.

Thanks for letting us know, and hopefully it will help someone else in the future.

C

Reaction score
No worries.

Yeah, Apple must have changed something. Too bad you had to take a big step like that, but at least it worked.

Thanks for letting us know, and hopefully it will help someone else in the future.

C
Really not such a big step when I think about it. If I drive to a location once I don’t need to use a map or gps to guide me a second time. Once is enough. I think most people might agree with that so there is really no reason to store an address unless it’s your home or work because those are likely the most common places from which a trip starts.
I do maintain many addresses in contacts because it is a convenient place to keep them for that occasion when I want to send snail mail.
I think the default for all navigation apps should be “don’t save” not “save” and then force users to delete what isn’t wanted. Of course that would not be in Apple’s interest because then memory wouldn’t fill as fast and they might not be able to sell us new phones as often. Poor Apple.
Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question