how to create a movie dvd - new to Mac

Reaction score
Hi
I am wanting a simple way to burn DVDs to view on my ordinary TV & DVD player.
I have a Sony Handicam which records in AVCHD, and have happily been creating DVDs using Sony PMB (which I have read on a forum is Windows based so I can't use it on a Mac)
I record in high quality so I get good DVDs (not blue ray though as I only have an ordinary DVD player)

I have a MacBook Pro OS X Yosemite, with a disc slot
I have iDVD, and iMovie ’11 version 9 and version 10.0.9 ( don't know which one is best/most useful)

I have transfered to my Mac from camcorder, however in Finder the downloaded clips just appear as one icon labelled AVCHD. When I click to open these it opens Quicktime Player, and then all the clips show & play in Quicktime.

I have downloaded AVCHD to MOV app, but when I open this the formats to convert to are either for a lot of Apple gadgets, or formats I don't understand!

Please can anyone offer some help - I am presently wishing I was using my old Windows computer, even though it was soooooooooooo slow!

Thanks in advance

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I believe the issue is that the AVCHD 60p files aren't compatible, as noted on the Sony website article Using your Sony® Camera with a Macintosh® Computer:
Important: The iMovie software does not support AVCHD 60p video. To be able to edit your HD video in iMovie, we suggest you set your camcorder to record in AVCHD 60i or AVCHD 24i or MP4. If you've already recorded videos in 60p, you can transfer the video directly to the hard drive of your Mac, and then burn it to a disc to be viewed on a different computer or television. Also, you can convert AVCHD 60p video to MP4 format using Media Converter software.

Is that the converter you downloaded and tried?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory
many thanks for your interest
The convert I used is 'Free ACVHD to Mov ' an App I found from the App store on my Mac.

I have looked at the camcorder handbook, but the recording qualities it lists are HDFH 16m, HDHQ 9m, etc. I have always recorded in HDFH as it is the highest one (maybe unnecessarily!) I have just emailed Sony to ask how these relate to the figures that you & the help you pasted.

Do you know which format I should be aiming to convert to, that I can use iMovies on, that provides the best DVD playing quality on my ordinary dvd player, but does't take reams of storage please. I used to get about 1 hour of watching to a disc

so many thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sorry, I will get back to you. I am looking through the manual for your camera for ideas.

C

Reaction score
Would I be best to save the clips I have straight to the hard drive (I read about that somewhere, hope I can find it again!) as I need some recording space tomorrow, and I only have minutes left on it?
thanks again

I have just had this response from Sony (though it doesn't address all my queries) ; I hope it helps you (I haven't had time to follow the links yet) :-

I understand that you want to transfer your videos to your Mac and to burn them on a disc to be able to watch them on your DVD player.

Let me assist you with that.

For this one, you will need to use the PlayMemories Home for you to be able to transfer your videos to your Mac.

Usually, Macintosh computers do not support AVCHD video recorded in 60p (1080 and 720). If you want to easily transfer video to a Mac, we recommend changing the recording format on the camera. Depending on the camera, you can change it to MP4 or AVCHD such as 24i, 60i, etc. But since videos that your camera records is in MPEG-4 or AVC/H.264 High Profile for HD(high defenition) you can transfer your videos to your Mac.

For more information, you can refer to the links below:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34771/c/65,66/kw/is avchd compatible with mac

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answe...s avchd compatible with mac/c/65,66/related/1

Here is an article on how you can import movies with the Apple iMovie software:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32636

And lastly, here is where you can download the PlayMemories Home for your Mac. Please follow the steps carefully:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35841/c/65,66/kw/install playmemories home

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I took a quick look at the links and they should get the issue resolved for you. Especially helpful is the suggestion to change the video format in the camera (Operating Guide - page 10) and the link on how to import into iMovie.

C

Ask a Question