How do I boot from CD to reinstall OS/X

Reaction score
My G5 dual-proc Powermac's internal hard drive has either died or is in a state of affairs not allowing it to boot. I want to boot from the OS/X install discs that came with the system to see what my options are.

I know about holding down C while booting (I've already tried this) but because the system won't boot I can't seem to force the CD drive tray to open during the power-up process.

How do I do this so I can get the OS/X install disc to boot?

Thanks,
Steven

Reaction score
Getting the install DVD to load was a success. I started up the Archive & Install process and it's running right now. My hope is that I can get the machine booted and have access to some files on the internal drive. Then I can get them off and replace that drive.

If this doesn't work, I'll simply get the replacement in the machine and reinstall from scratch.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
Steven

Reaction score
After no success running the Archive solution I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled Tiger without replacing the hard drive. It's now booting consistently.

This leads me to believe that the hard drive hasn't necessarily failed. Any thoughts before I start reinstalling all my apps (Final Cut Studio, etc.)?

Thanks...

Reaction score
It should be fine now somethings a system can go down and you have to do a reinstall...What final cut are you running?? I think any early then 5 had problems with Tiger

Reaction score
It's Final Cut Studio 1, which I believe is based on FCP 5. We've been using it for over two years, lots of projects completed. Two of which got into multiple int'l. film festivals in the US.

I've been using Mackie Tracktion 2 on my MacMini C2D for all my scoring. But I'll be upgrading to Logic Studio and upgrading the C2D to 3GB of RAM as soon as I have the cash.

Say, how'd you like to buy my Quasimidi 309? It would make a dent in financing the RAM and Logic Studio. If you know of anyone looking for a 309 send them my way.

I'm thinking that the system ate itself because we didn't run a Disk Utility verify/repair for... well, a long time. I had read long ago that if you're running the system hard (and of course we do because we're doing digital audio & video, BIG projects) the discs should be repaired quite often.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Steven
http://avant-guardian.net

Reaction score
y dont you boot your mac and hold the shift key to go into safe mode and see what has happend, if that does not work then i would suggest there is a problem with your OS data or hard drive is dying

Reaction score
oh yeah fold the shift key till the login screen comes on dont hold for a couple of seconds then let go, hold for long time till a login menu comes on then just login in

Ask a Question