help with macbook pro crash on installation

Reaction score
hey there, any help highly appreciated. i'm a bit of a macnoob, know my way around PC quite well but i'm desperately trying to help my GF fixing her macbook pro 7.1

got her macbook just under 2 years. ran fine until recently, never added any ram or did similar upgrades.

1) first here mac started crashing randomly after 2min to 5min after OS loaded completely. crash = spinning the wheel endlessely, nothing can be done except hard res.

2) checked hard drive with disk utility on bootup: finds errors in volume and file numbers. fixed.

3) restart mac, crash again either after 2 min to 5min. checked hard drive again on bootup with CD. same error. fix.

4) the same keeps happening over and over. so we bring her comp to shop, they say the hard drive is about to go and needs replacing. also turns out she might have left the battery drain completely (?) which caused system to crash in the first place (?).

5) we went and bought a brand new hard drive (western digital scorpio black 500gb). put in comp, formated, reinstalled OS on bootup with CD. start computer and then again: crash after 2 min.

6) checked hard drive with disk utility: same again "volume and file number error".

7) completely re-erased harddrive, reformated, reinstalled: same again crash after a few minutes, "volume and file number error on hard drive". repeated the procedure, sometimes it even hangs during the setup procedure. (the part after the installation when setting up network, macemail and registering)

8) took out new harddrive again, attached externally to my PC, ran extended harddrive tests with WD hard drive test software and with seagate software. nothing wrong with it.
reinstall hard drive into mac

9) ran hardware test using application CD (pressing down D button on startup doesn't work). everything fine, nothing flagged

i'm at complete loss what's going on now. It doesn't seem to be the harddrive. I guess it wasn't in the first place neither (thanks shop guys for making us buy a new one ;-). I assume the "faulty" numbers in volume/files are just a result of the actual crash.
anyone any useful suggestion what else to do? is there any "other" hardware test i should/can run?
anyone heard of this before?
any serious suggestion welcome and let me know any other info you need.

(of course just dropping it at the repair shop is a next option but as its out of warranty, I would at least try to fix ourselves)

Reaction score
Firstly the Beachball does not mean the "Mac has crashed" to much Windows knowledge is a bad thing for Mac users.

First step:
Click on the Desktop, From the Apple Menu choose Force Quit, locate the App that is Marked Not Responding, Fix that App.

Reaction score
thanks for the comment.
as mentioned: nothing can be done, no clicking, no choosing apple menu (unless there is a keystroke combination i could try?). computer hangs at the beachball (i call that crashed)
this happens either when we manage to load up the OS or also after installation during the setup procedure of the newly installed OS.

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to take it to an AppleCare Service Centre near you.

Ask a Question