HELP! I can't get my machine to turn on!

Reaction score
This must be something simple, but I was using my machine, walked away for a few minutes, came back to a blank screen, light still on. Could not get screen to reappear. Shut off machine (button on back) unplugged it from the wall, plugged back in and tried to turn it on, but nothing happens. No chime, no gray screen. Light comes on but nothing else happens. Tried unplugging and turning on and using the command, option P and R....nothing happened. Now I am stuck as to what to do....anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

The lack of the chime means that the Mac is not passing the Power On Self Test. This usually means that the Mac is not finding good/usable RAM during the test.

1) Is this the original RAM
2) Have you installed new RAM
3) Have you increased / changed the RAM.

Reaction score
You normally get a bad RAM chime if its the RAM.
You don't say what type of machine it is? If its an iMac then it need to be taken to an AppleCare Service centre near your.
If its a Laptop, it might be the battery is totally flat, this can happen if you left Chrome or MSoft or Adobe products running.
Shut the lid, plug in the charger and try again in an hour.

Reaction score
Sounds like an iMac from what the OP said about shutting it down. If so I agree with you Kaveman re Apple care centre.

Reaction score
This must be something simple, but I was using my machine, walked away for a few minutes, came back to a blank screen, light still on. Could not get screen to reappear. Shut off machine (button on back) unplugged it from the wall, plugged back in and tried to turn it on, but nothing happens. No chime, no gray screen. Light comes on but nothing else happens. Tried unplugging and turning on and using the command, option P and R....nothing happened. Now I am stuck as to what to do....anyone have any suggestions?

You need to say what type of computer you have and what system you are running.

Ask a Question