Help! After partition resize can't boot.

DBM

Reaction score
To be more specific. I had already created a partition with El Capitan on it but wanted to increase the size from 40GB to 80GB. I have a 2Tb HD and the primary partition runs Snow Leopard and has all my work. I only use El Cap when I need software that will run on that. So I tried to resize the partition on El cap but not only did it not enlarge it but now the original partition is not bootable. I can only boot into the small EL CAP partition. What to do?

DBM

Reaction score
Also have this message in SIGMA's software.
Necessary DLLs cannot be found.
Please update to the latest version of SIGMA Photo Pro.
[ /Users/DBM-2/Library/Application Support/SIGMA_PhotoPro6/Log ]

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Do you have any form of Time Machine or other backup previous to the partition resize?
-Did you attempt to increase the size of the partition using Disk Utility in El Capitan or Snow Leopard?
-Are there only two partitions on the 2 TB drive?
-How much free space was there before you attempted the resize?
-On which partition is the SIGMA Photo Pro software installed on - El Capitan I assume, due to the system requirements?

It sounds to me like the resize affected the Snow Leopard partition, especially if it was almost full - i.e. less free space than the 40 GB you allotted to the El Capitan partition. If so, then it may not be easily corrected/recoverable. You would possibly have to delete enough files on the Snow Leopard partition to allow a reinstall of Snow Leopard over the top of the current installation.

C

DBM

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Do you have any form of Time Machine or other backup previous to the partition resize?
-Did you attempt to increase the size of the partition using Disk Utility in El Capitan or Snow Leopard?
-Are there only two partitions on the 2 TB drive?
-How much free space was there before you attempted the resize?
-On which partition is the SIGMA Photo Pro software installed on - El Capitan I assume, due to the system requirements?

It sounds to me like the resize affected the Snow Leopard partition, especially if it was almost full - i.e. less free space than the 40 GB you allotted to the El Capitan partition. If so, then it may not be easily corrected/recoverable. You would possibly have to delete enough files on the Snow Leopard partition to allow a reinstall of Snow Leopard over the top of the current installation.

C
Yes have backup.
Resize attempt in EL CAP
Only 2 partitions
about 1Tb free
Sigma PP on EL CAP
Loads of space on the Snow Lep partition
Unable to access the Snow Lep partition
Note: partition resize unsuccessful

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Honestly, if the resize failed, it may be wise to visit an Apple Store near your for some hands-on diagnosis and possible Time Machine restore. I would hate for us to make suggestions that could cause you to lose more data. This type of issue is tough to diagnose fully and remedy via the Internet.

C

Ask a Question