Lost Partition & I cannot retrieve :( Please Help

Reaction score
Hi anyone who may be reading this.
I have tried so many ways to retrieve my partial whisk says it has somehow been unmounted. i have tried this in terminal:

sudo fsck_exfat -d /dev/disk2s3

And i get this:

Opening /dev/rdisk2s3

** Checking volume.

** Checking main boot region.

fsck_exfat: Invalid jump or signature

Main boot region is invalid. Trying alternate boot region.

** Checking alternate boot region.

fsck_exfat: Invalid jump or signature

Alternate boot region is invalid.

** The volume could not be verified completely.

I don't know what to do, and I have so much information that I really really need back!!!! I hope someone can please help!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-This is an external drive, correct?
-The hard drive is partitioned into multiple partitions, correct?
-Is it formatted as ExFAT? If so, for what reason?

C

Reaction score
Hi!

- My mac model is a 15inch mid 2015
- Currently on OS X EI Capitan
- Yes it is an External Drive
- The HD is partition into two sections: 1G and 3G (The 3GB is the one that is currently no longer working.)
- I'm no sure exactly where to review what it was formatted on - But I can remember choosing one that could only be used on a Mac, as I only use a mac and knew it would be a tad faster. Do you know where exactly I would be able to find that information as well? I have tried to look in Disk Utility, and in the HD's info section but I cannot find it.

Thanks so much for helping me out! I just hope I am able to retrieve it as it had so much information for my business and personal that I cannot afford to lose :(

Mace

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information.

-Using Disk Utility, if you click on the drive name (i.e. TOSHIBA), not the partition (i.e. Macintosh HD), it will show you the Partition Map type.
-In Finder, if you Option-click or right-click on the hard drive icon and select Get Info, it will give you the Format type.
-I assume you found that Terminal command on the Internet somewhere. If the HD isn't ExFAT, then that command will not work.

Let us know both of those and we can go from there.

C

Ask a Question