Permissions Problem - now can't boot MBP :( help!

Reaction score
Out of nowhere my MacBook Pro has given me some serious issues this afternoon, and I cannot seem to resolve it.
I tried screenshotting in safari (OSX12) where I was told I didn't have permissions to do this. I quit safari and reset the MacBook, and now it won't boot - can't even boot in safe mode. Really panicking as there is - of course - a bunch of files
That I simply cannot lose in the machine.

Reaction score
OK, we need to know a couple of things:

1. What exact MacBook Pro model do you have?

2. It looks like you are using Sierra, OS 10.12. Is that correct, and if so, what version? The latest one is OS 10.12.3.

3. Are you making backups to an external device? That is critical.

4. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs? There are both free and commercial tools to help you with that.

If (and that is a BIG if) you have a backup, and your internal drive is OK, then there is a possibility that you can try and fix the issue. But having the backup is an absolute necessity.

And, please define "screenshotting". Never heard of that!

Reaction score
Mid 2012 MBP... not sure what version of 10.12, but i *think* I updated last week....?

Screenshotting - cmd -shift-3

I've backed up most of it, but not for the past week.

OK, we need to know a couple of things:

1. What exact MacBook Pro model do you have?

2. It looks like you are using Sierra, OS 10.12. Is that correct, and if so, what version? The latest one is OS 10.12.3.

3. Are you making backups to an external device? That is critical.

4. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs? There are both free and commercial tools to help you with that.

If (and that is a BIG if) you have a backup, and your internal drive is OK, then there is a possibility that you can try and fix the issue. But having the backup is an absolute necessity.

And, please define "screenshotting". Never heard of that!

Reaction score
I'm thinking you are using OS 10.12.3, and that you upgraded "in place", which should be OK (unless there were prior issues with your system). To confirm the version, click on the black Apple Icon in the upper left hand corner of your screen, and then select "About This Mac". You'll see the version number there.

Now, you need to explain what you mean by "I've backed up most of it, but not for the past week.". How exactly did you do that? If you just dragged and dropped files/folders onto your external drive (you did not say if you have an external drive), that is not a true backup.

Reaction score
I can't boot the MacBook so I can't even tell you.
Yes, drag and drop so not a 'true' backup

Reaction score
Well, to try and do it on your own will be risky. Do you have anything critical on your internal drive?

Also, do you have access to another Mac, either one of your own, or a friend's Mac?

Reaction score
Yes, extremely critical - more fool me...

I've an iMac but this has a much smaller hard drive ....(?)

Reaction score
Then, there are definite issues with this, especially without a reliable, full backup. What exact iMac model do you have? Also, what OS are you running on the iMac?

If both of your machines have Firewire 800 ports (it looks like your Mid 2012 MBP does have one), then you could first connect your MBP to the iMac, boot the iMac, then boot the MBP in Target Disk Mode. Hopefully, that will work, and the MBP's hard drive will appear on the iMac's desktop. You should then be able to use the tools on the iMac to try and repair the MBP's drive. But again, I must stress that without a backup, this will be risky.

Ask a Question