A Question About Disk Permissions

Reaction score
I have been trying to repair disk permissions on my macbook, because of certain inconsistencies in its behavior. I have noticed that after repairing permissions with disk utility many times, and using Onyx and Tech Tool Pro to repair permissions, I go to 'verify disk permissions' and I still get a long list of inaccurate permissions. Is repairing disk permissions fixing anything? Why is this happening? I thought things were supposed to be more precise and consistent than this. OSX10.8.5
arc

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

It is typical behavior for Disk Utility to still show some warnings/errors, even after running permissions repair several times. Most of the things listed will be warnings - things that Apple's developers have not updated in the database list used to compare permissions. Sometimes they change what the permissions should be and don't update the index. They are nothing to worry about.

If you are concerned, feel free to list them here, and we will try to decipher them.

C

Reaction score
arc1953,

Follow the below written steps:-

1. First open Disk Utility, which is located in the Utilities folder of your App folder.

2. Now, select the startup disk from a long list of volumes.

3. In the 3rd step, click on First Aid tab.

4. In order to check permission, click on the verify disk permission. To repair the file permissions, click on the repair disk permissions.

Or you can also use the Stellar Volume Repair Software, which automatically resolved any issue with bad sector in case if disk utility can’t verify it.

Reaction score
I have already done that. Many times. It still comes up with a very long list of incorrect permissions. More than I care to count. The majority are iTunes related. Maybe some of them are fixed, but it doesn't look like it. I just don't think it is supposed to be this way.

Ask a Question