ExFat Format Question

Reaction score
Hello,

Am I correct that a USB memory Stick formatted as ExFat "should" be readable
on a Mac or a PC equally well ?

Any caveats, if so ?

Bob

Reaction score
Yes, that should be the case. For your Mac, what exact Mac model, and what exact Mac OS?

Reaction score
I have 2 Macs: a late 2012 Mac Mini, and a mid 2017 Mac Book Air, both running the latest version of Mojave, and either of them can read flash drives formatted as ExFAT. As I have mentioned previously, that format is required whenever I want to watch videos (Movies and/or TV series) on our Samsung 65" Smart TV. From what I remember, I once used such a formatted flash drive to give some videos to a friend who has a PC, and the PC was able to read the drive just fine.

Just remember, though, that when you format it on your Mac via Disk Utility, besides choosing the ExFAT format, you also need to choose Master Boot Record for the Scheme. That is mainly for insuring that a PC can read it (that is the scheme I choose for using one with our TV).

Reaction score
Hello,

First a quick thanks for the help, and All the past help.
Very appreciated.

Might you please run me thru the exact steps to use Disk utility to
re-format a USB stick I have to ExFat (including how to choose Master Boot Record that you mentioned)

I opened up Disk Utility, but it's not obvious
to me how to proceed.

Thanks,
Bob

Reaction score
OK, first plug the flash drive in to one of your USB ports.

Second, launch Disk Utility. For the devices shown on the left, it should list the flash drive.

Third, click on the "top"level of the flash drive, then click on Erase. When the next screen appears, for Format, use the arrow on the right to select ExFAT. Similarly, for the Scheme, use the arrow on the right to select Master Boot Record. (If you want, you can click on the entry in the Name Field, and give it a name you want). Finally, click Erase.

That should do it.

Reaction score
Hi Honestone.

Just want to learn, and also to be sure I'm not missing anything.

Did the USB Stick re-formatting to ExFat, and all seems to have gone well.
Good instructions from you.
Put a few files on the stick, and they seem to be there.
A GetInfo shows: ExFat formatting.

But- I did not see any "Scheme" or "Master Boot Record" selections.
Is it that I just, probably, missed seeing it, as usual ? Where, exactly are they ?

What are the consequences, then, of not doing anything with them, as you suggested ?
I certainly don't mind doing it all again, if I should ?

Running Mojave.

Regards, and thanks,
Bob

Reaction score
OK, I will post screen shots. But I assume you used Disk Utility for format the flash drive as ExFAT:

1. After plugging in a flash drive into one of my hub's USB Ports, and launching Disk Utility, the first screen below appeared.

2. The Flash Drive is the one that says "SanDisk Cruzer". Clicking on that brings up the next screen.

3. Next, selecting Erase from the top row of Disk Utility brings up the next screen.

4. Note the titles "Format:" and "Scheme", each with an up-down arrow. Clicking on the up-down arrow for Format brings up a list of Format Choices.

5. Finally, clicking on the up-down arrow for Scheme brings up the list indicated.

That's about as clear as I can show it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 9.20.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 9.20.48 AM.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 9.23.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 9.23.04 AM.png
    189 KB · Views: 253
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 9.25.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 9.25.24 AM.png
    311.6 KB · Views: 230
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 9.27.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 9.27.37 AM.png
    361 KB · Views: 241
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 9.28.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 9.28.55 AM.png
    346.6 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

Here's what I see via Disk Utility:
upload_2019-1-18_7-35-51.png

upload_2019-1-18_7-30-29.png

Doesn't seem to be any "Scheme", as you seem to have per the images you went to the
trouble to send me. Thanks for the time it took to do it.

I'm using Mojave; did it change from High Sierra ?
Or does it, now, just default to "Master Boot Record" ?

Best regards,
Bob

Reaction score
You are clicking on the "lower level" of what Disk Utility shows. I had stated above that you need to click on the "top" level. So, in my example the "top" level is "SanDisk Cruzer". That is the one I clicked on to get the next screen that has the Format and Scheme. The "lower" level is "Movies", and if I clicked on that, I would get a screen like yours.

Reaction score
Hi,

Got it.

Thanks so much with putting up with all of my dumb questions, and dumb problems.
In my 80's now, and frankly I seem to miss many of the nuances now.

BTW: What are the differences between selecting Master Boot Record, and GUID ?
I know you suggested Master Boot Record.

Just so I can learn, what, if anything, would GUID do ?

My main objective in this is to create a USB Stick that can easily be read on both,
either a Mac or a W10 pc.

Regards, and thanks again,
Bob

Reaction score
If you want the Flash Drive to be recognized on both a Mac and a PC, then it needs to have a scheme of Master Boot Record. For a Windows PC, there might be software available to read drives with a scheme of GUID, but I am not familiar with any of that.

There are times when I want to watch a movie or TV series on one of my Macs. Typically I might take the flash drive plugged into one of the USB ports on our Samsung 65" Smart TV, and plug it into an available USB port on either of my Macs. As I mentioned earlier, to have such flash drives recognized on the TV, they must be formatted as ExFAT, with a scheme of Master Boot Record. Well, such a format/scheme is recognized on either of my Macs, and of course using the venerable software VLC makes watching them hassle free.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

All set now.

Thanks again for All the time you've taken to
help me understand this, and all the previous help.

Regards,
Bob

Ask a Question