Please Help! G4 Blinking Question Mark/unlocated destination disk

Reaction score
I feel like i've tried everything so far... I'm appreciative of any and all help. I have a G4 Quick Silver and was running OS 10.2. One morning I started it up and got the dreaded blinking question mark. I went to open the CD drive to start up from my start up disks but the drive wouldn't open. So i opened the computer, removed the disk drive, manually ejected it and put in the initally software start up disks. Next I restarted holding C and tried to do a clean installation. My plan was to do a clean installation back to the original disks and platform 9, and then do the upgrades back up to OSX. But when I try to install 9 it can not locate the destination disk. Please help! How do I get my computer working again?

Thank you!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Hmmm...

It could be the PRAM battery. QuickSilvers are notorious for acting strange and/or not working at all with a dead PRAM battery.

You can open the disc tray when starting up by holding the mouse button down after pressing the power button.

Before this issue arose, did your Mac have trouble keeping the correct time or any other issues?

Reaction score
Thanks Cory. No I've never had a problem with the computer keeping the time previously. I tried pressing down the mouse button while restarting. That didn't open the disk tray either.

Would the PRAM battery cause me not to be able to locate the destination disk when I'm trying to do a clean installation?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

how have you got on ? Have you had any luck yet ?

regards

Ric

Ask a Question