G5 Power Mac Keeps Hanging or Kernal Panic

Reaction score
Help!!

I have a G5 Power Mac, Dual 2.7gh PPC, OSX 10.4.11 and 2gb ram.

Everything has been fine and dandy until recently but today I am having a nightmare. I have had at least 3 kernal panics plus several hangs where I have had to shut down. It seems, but only seems, it's related to Aperture but that may just be a coincidence.

I have run Repair Disk Permissions but when I tried Verify Disk I got one of my several hangs. Nothing would run - only the dreaded beachball.

I don't even know where to start looking but as it's my job I am in a state of panic!

Cheers

Geoff

Reaction score
Help!!

I have a G5 Power Mac, Dual 2.7gh PPC, OSX 10.4.11 and 2gb ram.

Everything has been fine and dandy until recently but today I am having a nightmare. I have had at least 3 kernal panics plus several hangs where I have had to shut down. It seems, but only seems, it's related to Aperture but that may just be a coincidence.

I have run Repair Disk Permissions but when I tried Verify Disk I got one of my several hangs. Nothing would run - only the dreaded beachball.

I don't even know where to start looking but as it's my job I am in a state of panic!

Cheers

Geoff
Usually a reinstallation of the OS will solve that problem. Have you tried resetting PRAM and NVRAM? There is also a great tool to use to keep your Mac healthy. Disc Warrior-
http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/

Reaction score
Usually a reinstallation of the OS will solve that problem. Have you tried resetting PRAM and NVRAM? There is also a great tool to use to keep your Mac healthy. Disc Warrior-
http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/

Thanks Walrus.

I will give it a try. First I have to find my original Tiger DVD so it may take a day or two. What are the downsides of the PRAM/NVRAM resets? Do I need to back everything up first? I have 200gb of stuff on my main HD so that's another day to back it all up! I ran Tech Tool Pro at the end of last week and that told everything was fine. Is Disk Warrior better? If it is then I will give that a go as well.

Again, thanks for your help

Cheers

Geoff

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to back up anything by resetting PRAM & NVRAM. Here's some info-
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238
If it's only Aperture causing the kernal panics, you might want to reinstall Aperture.
Tech Tool Pro and Disk Warrior are two different animals both with special features but before having to reinstall the OS I would try using Disc Warrior first.

Reaction score
Before you re-install your OS, try to start up your Mac from the installation disk and then run Disk Utility > Verify Disk.

Ask a Question