Font issues when sending emails

Reaction score
Hi.
When I send an email with a different chosen font on the generic MAC email platform, I see my email in the chosen font, but when a PC user receives my email, they receive it in Times New Roman.

Now that I am acting as a volunteer editor for a website, the team wants all my official emails to be sent out in Century Gothic. I am doing all I can, but they continue to receive the emails I have worked on and reformatted in Times New Roman.

Is this a problem specific to Macs?

Reaction score
No, for Plain Text emails this is set on the clients computer, you read your emails in the font you choose, you don't send the font.

have no idea how email works.

Reaction score
To send Font information the email must either be in RTF or HTML format, if the receiver does not have the font install there is no way they can view an email, Century Gothic isn't even a standard font for Window or the Mac.
The only way to do this is to send a PDF with the font imbedded, and thats not an email.

I'm not sure what you'll "keep trying" as it simply can't be done. "There is no try, just do or do not" Yoda

Reaction score
To send Font information the email must either be in RTF or HTML format, if the receiver does not have the font install there is no way they can view an email, Century Gothic isn't even a standard font for Window or the Mac.
The only way to do this is to send a PDF with the font imbedded, and thats not an email.

I'm not sure what you'll "keep trying" as it simply can't be done. "There is no try, just do or do not" Yoda
Thanks Kaveman. It's interesting though. The recipients who are viewing my messages in Times New Roman are the ones who have Century Gothic installed and are requesting I write In CG. I don't understand about RTF and HTML .
I hear you about the PDF . Will keep at it.

Reaction score
In Mail you can go to the menu View > Message > Raw Source this will show you what information is sent, most email is coded "text/plain", the plain means just that "plain" text no font information.
If the Recipients wish to read plain/text email in a font they need to set their email application on their computer, in Mail you can do this in Preferences > Fonts and Colours, you can only do this for Plain Text email, why? because no font information is sent in the email.
If you want to use Font, colour, bold, underline, stuff that is not Plain Text then you need to use another type of Email, RTF (not all email clients support this) or HTML, the problem with these is that many organisations filter these to the Junk Mail folder, and they don't get through.

Ask a Question