firewire port won't recognize peripherals

Reaction score
i have a mac mini which up until recently was working fine. now it won't my external lacie drive, my lacie d2 burner or my m-audio firewire solo. i've tried rebooting, unplugging, replugging, switching cables...all to no avail. i hate to think that i have several hundred dollars worth of paperweights now. the system profiler recognizes that i have a firewire port, only when i plug something in it doesn't read it. are the ports on my peripherals fried?

Reaction score
Is there any way you could try another firewire device to test your fried theory?

Reaction score
I'd be inclined to believe your firewire port is fried indeed. There are some utilities, such as TechTool Pro, that can probably test whether your ports are working on not before you take your Mac in to an authorized Apple repair shop.

Reaction score
under the system profile it says :

FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

doesn't that mean that it's reading the port as being there?

Reaction score
i ran tech tool pro which says the firewire port is fine. could it be the firewire cables? i can't believe that every single one i have is bad or that every port on my peripherals are fried.

Reaction score
yes, i'm using leopard. everything was running fine for a while and now suddenly nothing works.

Ask a Question