Broken Macbook Pro and Firewire conversions

Reaction score
Hello, I'm not quite sure if this is the right section of the forums to post here, but I do have a problem that may or may not be easy to fix:

I have an older macbook pro that I've taken care of for four years or so ago. It's been in great condition despite it's age, and much to my embarrassment for taking care of it so long I was in another room when it slid off of the counter and broke its monitor.

Now I am getting a new computer, I had always planned to do so, and while I've backed up most, if not all, of my files there are a few I'd like to transfer if possible. I am an artist and while my most recent work is saved, my earlier stuff may be in jeopardy.

When I went to the mac store they told me that, due to the broken macbook's age, I could use a firewire 800 to connect the macbook pros (the broken to the new) to transfer my files.

My concern is this, as I stupidly forgot to ask: since the screen is so damaged itself (it can turn on but you cannot navigate it) can you really use the firewire to transfer the files to my new macbook pro? Do I have to convert the broken macbook into a desktop and then do the transfer? If so how may I accomplish this?

Please answer if you have any knowledge on this, I feel stupid for this whole thing and really want to be able to get some of my images onto the newer computer when it arrives. Perhaps I just don't grasp what the firewire does or how sever the situation is, if so please let me know.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What you need to do is called FireWire Target Disc Mode. It's really pretty straight forward and you shouldn't run into any probs.

Your broken screen doesn't come into the equation because you'll be mounting your older MB Pro's internal Hard Drive on your new Mac's Desktop and you will be able to navigate to all your old files and just drag them across onto your new Mac's Hard Drive.

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

Let us know if you need any more info or help and also how you get on.

Good luck :)

SD

Ask a Question