Firewire bus problem?

Reaction score
I'm trying to use migration assistant to transfer files between my Mid 2011 iMac (intel i5 processor, running OS 10.13) and my Mac powerbook (power pc G4, running OS 10.4). I've attached a new firewire 800 cable between them. I've gotten the iMac to start up in target disc mode, with migration assistant running on the power book. But, migration assistant on the power book says it's waiting for the iMac to restart in target disc mode, and so won't let me continue. Reversing the procedure, with target disc on the power book, and migration assistant on the iMac causes the same problem.

After restarting the computers, when I look at system profiler on the iMac, under firewire, I get the following warning: "Warning: unable to list firewire devices."

Could it be a hardware problem, a firewire software problem, or possibly a cable failure, or something else?

Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Which direction are you trying to copy the files: PowerBook to iMac or iMac to PowerBook?

C

Reaction score
It is a failure in either direction. Perhaps most telling, when I look at disc utility with the two computers connected by a new firewire800 cable, the other, connected computer in Target Disc mode does not appear. Apple support said they can find no compatibility issues, but suggested that the new cable may not be working properly. Maybe so, I'm reluctant to buy a second, new cable to try.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK.

-You are seeing the FireWire symbol on the screen of the Mac in TDM, correct?
-You are opening Migration assistant before starting the other in TDM, correct?
-Is the drive in the iMac running High Sierra formatted as APFS? If so, the PowerBook will not be able to mount/see the iMac's drive.

Use target disk mode to move files to another computer

C

Reaction score
I am seeing the FireWire symbol in TDM. I'm opening Migration Assistant before starting TDM on the other computer. The iMac drive is formatted in Mac OS extended. I've been able, once, to migrate files to the power book, so I think the new cable is good. I just need to keep trying, I think.

Thanks, Cory.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK

Without launching Migration Assistant, if you startup the iMac in TDM, then connect it to the PB, does it mount on the Desktop as a FireWire drive?

C

Reaction score
Thanks, again, Cory. If I get Target Disc Mode running on the iMac, then start up the power book (OS 10.4), the hard disc on the iMac shows up on the desktop. And so I can copy files either way, though slow.

But, trying the scheme backwards, with TDM on the power book, then starting the iMac, with either OS 10.13 or OS 10.6 running, doesn't access the hard disk on the power book. Disc Utility on the iMac doesn't show the power book disc.

Don't guess anything really fancy, like running OS 9 apps from the iMac, via system OS 10.4 (with the Classic environment) on the power book is possible.

Thanks.

Ask a Question