Finder lost Documents

Reaction score
Dear Helpers!

The file 'Document' disappeared from the sidebar in Finder.However the file Documents exists 'somewhere',and I can consult items that I know that are in there using 'Search'. But when I use 'get info' Doucuments is the ultimate source, and not what was normally shown in the sequence: MacIntosh HD> Users>[My name].>Documents. How can I fix his? And where could "documents" have found a place somewhere?

Thanx for your answers! Dirk

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Are you using and signed into iCloud on the Mac?
-If so, is iCloud Drive > Desktop & Documents enable in System Preferences?

You could try this:
-Open a Finder window and click View > Show Path Bar from the menu bar. A path/breadcrumb trail will display at the bottom of the Finder window.
-Use Spotlight to search for a document you know is in the Documents folder.
-In the Spotlight results window, scroll to the bottom and click Search in Finder.
-A Finder widow will open with the results.
-Then, when you click once on the file you searched for, the path will show at the bottom of the Finder window and should tell you where the document is currently.

Let us know if that helps.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Cory! I tried most of the things you suggest, but I could never look farther back for the origin than 'Documents'.
But giving up I just saw from the corner of my eye that 'something' in Finder was calculating. Next morning everything was looking as if nothing happened, the noughty 'Documents' was there and behaved as before. Happy!
Did you ever hear of this kind of temporary bad behaviour? Looks as if my laptop was too busy to answer to my inquiries.
Thanks again and sorry formy late reaction!
Dirk

Ask a Question