More and more often my Finder gets stuck spinning an IOS device.

Reaction score
It doesn't happen all of the time, but more often than ever, my Finder gets stuck spinning an IOS device. I can't shut down my Catalina iMac when that happens. Killing the Finder doesn't help. Moving my phone to the other room doesn't help. Shutting the phone down *does* help.

Booting to safe mode doesn't change anything. My iPhone or iPad can be plugged into my iMac, but don't have to be. When I was backing up to my Mac, I got into a loop earlier today of it asking for my password, having me type in my passcode on my phone, and it rejecting my password. Same thing happened after I turned my Mac off and on, so I switched back to backing up with the cloud.

But it's been spinning for 2 hours, and I imagine will continue.

I bought two new cords in case my old cords were defective.

What should I look at next?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

I assume this is related to your other post.

What do you mean "gets stuck spinning an iOS device"? Do you mean syncing or backing up to iTunes in Catalina?

C

Reaction score
Apple getting rid of iTunes in Catalina has made web searching difficult.

When I can't shut down my Mac, the spot that has an eject button for the iPhone or iPad has a spinning circle. Occasionally it hasn't started syncing and I can press the Sync button to get it going. Other times the only thing I have been able to do is to turn off the device.

One thing I did this morning was to switch which USB ports different cables were plugged into on my late 2013 iMac. (A program that I boot onto Mojave is promised to be converted this Spring, when I hope I can replace it with an M1 machine).

Ask a Question