Mac OS X Mojave with Metal More CPU and GPU processor hungry?

Reaction score
Something is slowing my Macs down. Is Mojave using more VRAM, off loading CPU to GPU now, or is the GPU just being used more now with Metal? it seems a lot of computers have slowed down (including my 1311A iMac, 2013 model 27, inch with SSD,1 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM. Even my 2017 5K iMac 27 inch 3.8 Ghz with 40 GB RAM and Radeon PRO 580, 8 GB card, Fusion and SSD (external 1TB Thunderbolt 3) seems slower in certain apps. (Safari specifically, Pages at times also) I have a 2014 MacBook Pro as well, no updates since 2018, and it has not changed in performance, This is why I'm asking.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

What types of slowdowns - mainly in Safari, or all apps?

Apple replaced OpenGL with Metal in 2015 in El Capitan, and it does have higher hardware requirements. However, any Mac that supports Mojave will support Metal. It does use the GPU for more functions in applications, but not everything. I believe that most non-audio/video/gaming applications don't have much benefit from Metal.

I have noticed slowness in the recent versions of Safari in multiple versions of macOS - Sierra/High Sierra/Mojave. Other apps seems to have the same performance.

I would think there may be another issue causing the slowness, such as amount of free space, utilities/antivirus running in the background, number of applications running simultaneously, etc.

C

Ask a Question