External storage for MacBook Air

Reaction score
looking at WD passport 1TB for extra storage on Air. New to Mac and want to transfer my pictures and itunes from pc to external storage rather than transfer to mac. Then want to use remaining space on WD passport for backups on mac.

Can this be done? Do I need to format the external drive?
Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Yes, this can be done, but it's not advised.
-Yes, you will need to format the HD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for Time Machine to work.

It isn't recommended, because a Time Machine HD should be dedicated for that purpose. And, if the Time Machine backup HD fails, you would lose your iTunes/iPhoto Libraries too, as they would not be being backed up.

I would recommend that you get at least two external HDs - one for iTunes/iPhoto and one for Time Machine. You could then backup both the MacBook Air HD and the iTunes/iPhoto HD to the second external HD.

-Are you having HD space issues on the MacBook Air?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Yes, this can be done, but it's not advised.
-Yes, you will need to format the HD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for Time Machine to work.

It isn't recommended, because a Time Machine HD should be dedicated for that purpose. And, if the Time Machine backup HD fails, you would lose your iTunes/iPhoto Libraries too, as they would not be being backed up.

I would recommend that you get at least two external HDs - one for iTunes/iPhoto and one for Time Machine. You could then backup both the MacBook Air HD and the iTunes/iPhoto HD to the second external HD.

-Are you having HD space issues on the MacBook Air?

C
Thanks for the quick reply.
I will take your advice and get myself two separate hard drives.
I'm not having immediate problems with HD on the MacBook Air. Only bought a month or so ago but the drive is quite small and can anticipate needing extra shortage in the near future so thought I might try and get ahead of the game.
Glad I sought your advice before steaming ahead. Still on a steep learning curve in the Mac environment.
Thanks again

Ask a Question