External HD Wont Show Up On My Mac **help please**

Reaction score
Hi,
Im using a 6 gb ibook clamshell, running mac osx 10.3.9, and i decided to get an external hd case for a hard drive i got out of an old laptop. Well, i formatted it using my windows based pc not really thinking it would effect it. I read around after and saw that chances are after it probably wouldnt work on here. I tried it and it just doesnt show up. So, i tried using it back on my windows based pc and it will not let me create anything or save anything to the hd. Im completely confused and dont know what to do. If anyone could help at all it would be great!! Thanks!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi AngelDavies,

Try connecting it up to the Clammie (I've got 2 of these classics :)) then launch Disc Utility which is in the Applications folder.

Click the First Aid Tab if it isn't already highlighted (I think by default it always opens in First Aid) and look in the left column for the external disc to show. Click to highlight the disc (it'll be the indented one) and you will be able to read all the info about that disc if you look to the bottom of the Disc Utility window. It will show the format used and I guess it's probably NTFS (Windows format) but can't say for sure.

You need to erase the disc and then format/partition it, I'm pretty sure you should choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Once the drive is done you should be able to use it, but only Mac - Mac. If you wan't to share it between Mac - PC, then choose MS-DOS (FAT32).

Let us know if you have any problems.

Ask a Question