External Drive Wont Show Up Anymore!!

Reaction score
Hello,
Really need help! I have a seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5tb external memory drive, partitioned to work with both mac and PC (1tb to 500gb), the mac part I used for time machine backups and the pc just stored files. Recently it stopped showing up on my Mac (and on other Macs as well) but still shows up fine on PCs (the PC part shows up only, as it should).

Tried Disk Utility repairs, says that it cannot be repaired or verified, and also tried mounting it in Disk Utility, says cannot be mounted.

The light on the external drive lights up and it hums as if it is working, but my computer doesn't see it. When trying to mount it , the name changes and becomes "disk1s1" or something similar.

PLEASE HELP! How do I make it show up on my MAC? Without loosing data.

I have MAC OS X Snow Leopard running btw on my Macbook.

Reaction score
Sounds like a file system problem, never use a duel drive for TM and PC files, always keep TM on its own dedicated drive.

I must ask if this is a 2012 seagate drive? Because in 2012 there were a plethora of issues like yours raised with Seagate with out a solution.

Reaction score
Hi,

so anything I can do?
Really can not think of a solution, re the TM backups on that drive sorry.
Would my warranty cover this kind of issue?
If within the warranty period defiantly contact Segate.

Personally I would also get a drive from your nearest apple store and start running TM as well, 500s are extremely cheap. And this would give you peace of mind.

Reaction score
Hi,

but I want the data on my seagate
As you say it still shows on a PC then those files should be recoverable. But I doubt that the TM backups will be.

Ask a Question