SOLVED External Hard Drive loses space when converting to FAT32

Reaction score
I bought a WD Elements SE external hard drive 4TB and need to convert it to FAT32, yet when I do convert it the hard drive drops down to 1.8TB available space despite the hard drive having nothing installed on it. I have contacted the place where I bought it from and they stated that it is an unresolvable issue that arises when the conversion happens. Is there any way to recover the lost space?

Reaction score
From what I remember FAT32 has a 2TB limit. One solution would be to create 2 X 2TB partitions.
I recall reading somewhere that the 2TB limit could be altered, but I am not sure where that was. I will try to dig it out.

Reaction score
From what I remember FAT32 has a 2TB limit. One solution would be to create 2 X 2TB partitions.
I recall reading somewhere that the 2TB limit could be altered, but I am not sure where that was. I will try to dig it out.
i've looked into the 2TB limit you mentioned and it appears you're correct. You can bypass the limit with some 3rd party partitioning programs. Thanks for the response.

Ask a Question