External hard drive

Reaction score
My external hard drive has started asking for my admin password to edit or add files. All users have read & write permissions under sharing & permissions. How do I make this stop???

Reaction score
Need to ask some questions:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you using?

3. Have you ever done an disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? By that I mean have you ever run any disk-related software to help with those tasks? There are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that.

4. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device? If you are, what software are you using for that? And is your external drive used for such backups?

5. What model/brand is your external drive?

6. Do you remember the last "activity" involving that drive before the issue started?

Reaction score
Need to ask some questions:

1. What exact Mac model do you have? ***Macbook Air 7.2

2. What exact Mac OS are you using? ***10.12.6

3. Have you ever done an disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? By that I mean have you ever run any disk-related software to help with those tasks? There are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that. ***No, The external disc a week old and has only been used with this computer. All I want is the password requirement to stop.

4. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device? If you are, what software are you using for that? And is your external drive used for such backups? Used Time Machine to do a backup, but turned it off in hopes it would help. No change. External disc is NOT encrypted.

5. What model/brand is your external drive? ***G Drive Mobile

6. Do you remember the last "activity" involving that drive before the issue started?
***played a movie

Reaction score
Was the movie on that external drive? And what software did you use to play the movie?

Also, if you have nothing critical on that drive, you could have Disk Utility perform First Aid on the drive.

And speaking of Disk Utility, did you use it to Erase and Format the drive?

Ask a Question