ext hd issue?

Reaction score
hi

I have a usb HD, i formatted it w/my win xp machine, which is a plain old xp (not pro) i have no users or passwords or nothing set on it, i used that machine to format nfts works great r/w on the pc

when i plug it into my mac w/lep it says the hd is read only there are no options to change that in the info pannel (even logged as root)

my goal is to have a pc nfts formated hd that i can also use on my mac w/ r/w ability any idea how i can fix this?

thanks very much

Reaction score
thanks very much i'll keep them in mind, what i was sorta hoping for was a way to do it w/o buying any special software or at least understand roughtly, why it seems not to allow write access :p

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
If you want to share an ext drive between Mac - PC then you can do it using Disc Utility on the Mac selecting MS-DOS (FAT32). IIRC, you should also be able to do this on a PC too.

There may be size limits with this format but you'd need to google around as I've never had any issues with my MS-DOS ext HD but have read a lot of posts elsewhere about the size limits.

Reaction score
thanks, but the need was specifically for nfts there is a few things i'll need to do that won't work fat

thanks for the alternative suggestion

was basically looking for a way to get nfts to work primairly w/just built in mac programming, as a last resort the software above but be the trick

thanks

Ask a Question