Boot issues with Graphics acceleration extension

Reaction score
To start, I'm using a Power Macintosh G3 with a 500mhz G4 upgrade running Mac OS 9.2.2. I recently picked up a Radeon 7000 mac edition to put in the Mac. In a nutshell, the problem I'm having is with the Ati Graphics Acceleration extension. If I attempt to boot with that specific extension enabled, it will start to boot normally and then after the splash screen, it will end up on the desktop with nothing except the desktop pattern and a frozen cursor. I've waited on this screen for hours and no luck, it's completely frozen. Upon starting up with extensions disabled and moving the graphics acceleration extension into the disabled extensions folder, it will boot up normally. The downfall to this is that I no longer have graphics acceleration, which is the whole reason I purchased the radeon 7000. I am completely lost on what to do, as I have tried many things including reinstalling the OS, reinstalling the extensions, and a cuda reset. Any ideas?

Included is an image of what I get if trying to boot with the extension enabled.

Attachments

• IMG_0887.JPG
    IMG_0887.JPG
    420.4 KB · Views: 353

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Wow...here's a blast from the past! ;)

It sounds to me like you have an incorrect version of the ATI software installed for the RADEON 7000.

-Did you get any software with the card?
-What versions of all of the ATI software are installed?

Here's a link that shows some of the version information and a downloadable installer: ATI RADEON 7000 Mac Edition Installer 1.0 (29 November 2001)

We'll see if we can get you back up and running,

C

Ask a Question