iMac 12,2 boot issues

Reaction score
Hi to all.
I got a imac, that freezes on boot, loop, etc. I

got help with a technician and ASD:pASS. no electrical or hardware problems detected. Thermal paste is new. I did the ASD 5 times, in order to put the computer on the HOT spot. Since these machine get really really hot, that will tell me if there are some problems with voltage drops, etc etc.

Since my friend travels back, i still have the iMac on my desk. I read that the firmware could be damage. That is the last resort before sending these to the trash or sell these by parts, since all voltage, everything is in perfect condition.

I need all the help I can since it is my 4 day working in these, and i am getting desperate.

First. i know where to get the firmware, what is the correct one. 1.9 or 1.8

I have not idea where to start. all SMC PRAM done many times.

So any help will be fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 808
Reaction score
First of all, what machine are you using to enter posts on this board?

Secondly, you could try to boot into various "modes" (like Safe mode, Single user mode, etc.), Here is a link that shows the keyboard combinations to boot your machine into various modes:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255

Third, if none of that helps you, you'll need an external way of "getting" to your iMac. Your iMac has a Firewire 800 port, and if the machine you are using "actively" also has a Firewire 800 port, then there is hope. So, let us know what machine you are using now. We'll need the "model designator" (just like you did for the iMac; iMac 12,2 is perfect), along with the version of the Mac OS it is running under.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If ASD boots properly and all testing passed, then it is probably a software issue. The latest firmware for that model is:

iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.9

If you had performed all the software updates prior to the issue occurring, then the firmware is up to date already.

-The model of that iMac (for iMac 12,2) is iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)...is that correct?
-It came with Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.x. Did you upgrade it to a newer version of the OS, as honestone asked about?
-Do you have the original RAM in it, or did you upgrade it with third-party sticks?
-Do you happen to have an external HD that has a bootable version of Mac OS X on it?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If ASD boots properly and all testing passed, then it is probably a software issue. The latest firmware for that model is:

iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.9

If you had performed all the software updates prior to the issue occurring, then the firmware is up to date already.

-The model of that iMac (for iMac 12,2) is iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)...is that correct?
-It came with Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.x. Did you upgrade it to a newer version of the OS, as honestone asked about?
-Do you have the original RAM in it, or did you upgrade it with third-party sticks?
-Do you happen to have an external HD that has a bootable version of Mac OS X on it?

C

Hi Cory Cooper.
The model of that iMac (for iMac 12,2) is iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)...is that correct?
YES

It came with Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.x. Did you upgrade it to a newer version of the OS, as honestone asked about?
Snow Leopard could be. the original HD is dead. Mechanical issues.

The computer have the original Stick. I am trying to get another ones but those are rare to find. I outsource all memory. But ASD is load and the stick are ok.

loading the os externally have the same efects.

Please note a friend of mine just bring another computer but 2012 Imac. having the same issues. I will check that later. It is going to be a long weekend.

Reaction score
Cory definitely makes valid points. I actually was asking about the version of the OS on the "workable" machine, that is, the one Car;os is using to post here. But, yeah, if we can get the version of the OS on the iMac, that would help.

Also, it would be beneficial if you had a bootable partition on an external hard drive. If not, and if none of the "booting" suggestions contained in the apple link above help, then booting your machine in "Target Disk Mode" would be the way to go. For that, you will need a Firewire 800 cable, and the machine you are posting from would also need to have a Firewire 800 port.

Reaction score
First of all, what machine are you using to enter posts on this board?

Secondly, you could try to boot into various "modes" (like Safe mode, Single user mode, etc.), Here is a link that shows the keyboard combinations to boot your machine into various modes:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255

Third, if none of that helps you, you'll need an external way of "getting" to your iMac. Your iMac has a Firewire 800 port, and if the machine you are using "actively" also has a Firewire 800 port, then there is hope. So, let us know what machine you are using now. We'll need the "model designator" (just like you did for the iMac; iMac 12,2 is perfect), along with the version of the Mac OS it is running under.

Hi Honestone Thanks so much for your reply.

I am using the same Imac. The ASD was ron on the Imac itself.

Single Mode Runs perfect. Have no errors. Safe mode does not load since the computer freezes. All boot commands where done.

I will try using the 3 option. Can I use a thunderbolt cable for these? I am using a late 2011 13inch Macbook Pro. Do you want me to load the Imac as a target mode? (COMAND T)

Thanks guys.

BTW. I have another Mac here with the same issues. I Have a business here but these is my 3th Mac with the same issues.

I have the as a last resort the EFI restoration 1.9

There are some tricks that you learn on the way. And I start doing these by mistake.

The sad part is a long weekend everything is close here in Panama since 12pm today.

Reaction score
Cory definitely makes valid points. I actually was asking about the version of the OS on the "workable" machine, that is, the one Car;os is using to post here. But, yeah, if we can get the version of the OS on the iMac, that would help.

Also, it would be beneficial if you had a bootable partition on an external hard drive. If not, and if none of the "booting" suggestions contained in the apple link above help, then booting your machine in "Target Disk Mode" would be the way to go. For that, you will need a Firewire 800 cable, and the machine you are posting from would also need to have a Firewire 800 port.

I am ok with tech work so please go and use them. That is the odd part. I will try to run the ASD again tonight a 3 loop session and check other issues but i am sure that electrical and physical speaking is perfect. All thermal paste are change MX-4 was use. all my desk are ESD safe. and a 21degree constant temperature.

Getting the original OS that came with the computer is not posible at these moment but I can try to get it. I did install 10.8.5 on a test hd, but i start using 1080p video and froze. The ASD PASS. It has to be a firmware thing. Please note that I am using a 2.5mm apple hard drive. since these have a special firmware model. and at is now, no fan are crazy. I can get jumper to bypass the sensor and add a SSD.

Reaction score
That's great you have another workable machine that you can use to boot the problematic iMac into Target Disk Mode. I do see where the problematic iMac has a Thunderbolt port, and thus yes, you can use a Thunderbolt cable to connect the two iMacs. The steps would be:

1. With both machines off, connect the Thunderbolt cable to the respective Thunderbolt ports.

2. Boot the "good" iMac, and wait until it completes the boot process, ie, gets to the Finder/desktop.

3. Start up the problematic iMac, holding down the Command and T keys as soon as you press the power button. Wait until that completes.

4. You will know when step 3 completes, as the internal hard drive for the problematic iMac will show up on the good iMac's desktop. From there, you can use whatever disk maintenance/repair/software "repair", etc. tools you have on the good iMac.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Oops! Correction to step 3. It needs to say:

3. Start up the problematic iMac, holding down theT key as soon as you press the power button. Wait until that completes

Reaction score
Need a correction, and I'll re-state the steps above clearly (without any of my typing "snafus"!).

First of all, it's great you have a late 2011 13" Macbook Pro, as that has a Thunderbolt port also.

Secondly, here are the steps again, with corrections:

1. With both machines off, connect the Thunderbolt cable to the respective Thunderbolt ports.

2. Boot the 13" MacBook Pro, and wait until it completes the boot process, that is, gets to the Finder/desktop.

3. Start up the problematic iMac, holding down the T key only as soon as you press the power button. Continue to hold down the T key. Wait until that completes.

4. You will know when step 3 completes, as the internal hard drive for the problematic iMac will show up on the 13" MacBook Pro's desktop. From there, you can use whatever disk maintenance/repair/software "repair", etc. tools you have on the MacBook Pro.

If you only have Disk Utility as the disk maintenance/repair program, that should be enough. What you'll need to do with Disk Utility is:

1. Verify and Repair the iMac's drive at the Volume level (the "top" level).

2. Verify and Repair Permissions, and Verify and Repair the disk at the partition level. Most likely, you have only one visible partition on that drive, and it would be the one containing the OS, all your software, data files, etc.

One thing I discovered the other day (via a very helpful post from another fantastic user here), the Repair Permissions via Disk Utility only does that for Apple products. So, if I were you, after repairing the drive, I'd download the excellent freeware product called Oynx. Besides repair permissions for any software, it also has other useful cleaning features, along with some limited disk maintenance/repair features. You can get Onyx from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

Careful, though, as you'll need to get the right version, which depends on which OS you are using (explained below). (Like Safari that I mention below, there are "Related Links" on that page, which can get you the correct version).

If the OS on the iMac is Snow Leopard, and you are fine with using that (there have been 4 subsequent releases by Apple of the OS, the latest being Yosemite (in fact, an update to Yosemite, 10.10.3, came out 2 days ago)), make sure it is version 10.6.8. If it's anything less (like 10.6, for example), you can upgrade that (after all the repairs are done, and the machine is running fine) to 10.6.8 by downloading it from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1400?locale=en_US

Along with that, and assuming you use Safari as your browser, you'll need to get the latest version for Snow Leopard. You can get it from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15675/apple-safari

You'll need Version 5.1.10, which is listed under "Related Links".

If you have a different OS on the iMac, let us know, as it might not be the latest version.

If you run into problems trying to repair the drive, not sure how informative the messages are from Disk Utility regarding that. If that happens to be the case, it would be better if you had a more robust disk maintenance/repair program like Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro, even for the future. I have both products, but I use TechTool Pro just about exclusively as part of my disk maintenance/repair/backup weekly processing. It does help with me keeping both of my machines "mean and clean".

Finally, assuming you are not doing any backups, I would strongly suggest you start doing that for both of your machines. With Snow Leopard, there is no built in Apple program to do that. Later versions of the OS include Time Machine, which is "OK". But, that software does not create a bootable system (and thus an easy way to recover from a disaster). The two best products for making a bootable backup are either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. Both work very well. You can use SuperDuper! for free, although it will run somewhat slower than the paid version, and it does not have some additional (and useful) features like the paid version does. For the paid version, SuperDuper! costs $27.95 US, whereas Carbon Copy Cloner costs $39.99 US. You can get the "free" version of SuperDuper! from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13803/superduper

I can tell you from direct experience that SuperDuper! saved my "hide" twice when I had a couple of issues with my late 2012 Mac Mini. And, given that you have an external hard drive, you are actually just about ready to do the backups (you'll need to partition that external drive with at least two partitions, so that you can use each of those for backing up each of your machines).

For future reference, you should develop a process to performing "periodic" disk maintenance/repairs/backups. There are various tools you can use for that, and no one method is "better" than another. I use one method every week for both of my machines, and it involves 4 steps (for the 2nd through 4th steps, I use Onyx, TechTool Pro, and SuperDuper!. I am also constantly removing stuff from each of my machines that I no longer need (especially EMails)). But, some other folks here use s different approach (and some different products, with success).

There is also some other useful (and free) software that is available to maintain the health of your machines, but let's see where all this gets you.

Finally, it would be good to know the version of the OS on the 13" MacBook Pro. Also, once you have OS 10.6.8 on your iMac, you can upgrade to any of the 4 newer versions of the OS for free. In fact, you can upgrade all the way to Yosemite, Version 10.10.3.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have no idea where to start. Just to inform, I have now have here in the shop 4 iMac 27 late 2011, with the same problem. I get the HD out and run it in my mac. Works perfect. No issue or problems. The first Imac has a new drive with OS installed. 10.8. also works perfect. Both machines ASD PASS on 3 loops. but still does not boot. I try single mode boot, verbose boot, shit boot. Also, I got the FIRMWARE restoration DISK 1.9 from apple. And even that I follow the protocol to start these, It can not boot the firmware also. 1. Since in Panama, we have 5 days off I will wait until monday to get the thunderbolt cable and follow these, I need the cable anyway. 2. I am going to try to reinstall the firmware. I try all there is not way to install that thing.

I am running out of options. And I ask Apple to accept me to make the exams to have the certification and they told me NO. since we DO NOT HAVE apple here, orr Genius, just a 4 to 5 shops that handle Apple stuff, most of them are crooks. the other one is a good guy, an the 5 is the suppose apple store. but is not apple. I know more that them. and I can not do these HAAAAA. I NEED A DRINK I HAVE BEING WORKING ON THESE COMPUTERS FOE 4 DAYS NOW!!!!!

Thanks guys. I have google plus Carlos De Bernard Panama. Get me there. You are welcome to join and talk time to time.!!!! you have a friend here. getting help on these days is rare.!!!!

Reaction score
Need a correction, and I'll re-state the steps above clearly (without any of my typing "snafus"!).

First of all, it's great you have a late 2011 13" Macbook Pro, as that has a Thunderbolt port also.

Secondly, here are the steps again, with corrections:

2. Boot the 13" MacBook Pro, and wait until it completes the boot process, that is, gets to the Finder/desktop.

3. Start up the problematic iMac, holding down the T key only as soon as you press the power button. Continue to hold down the T key. Wait until that completes.

4. You will know when step 3 completes, as the internal hard drive for the problematic iMac will show up on the 13" MacBook Pro's desktop. From there, you can use whatever disk maintenance/repair/software "repair", etc. tools you have on the MacBook Pro.

If you only have Disk Utility as the disk maintenance/repair program, that should be enough. What you'll need to do with Disk Utility is:

1. Verify and Repair the iMac's drive at the Volume level (the "top" level).

2. Verify and Repair Permissions, and Verify and Repair the disk at the partition level. Most likely, you have only one visible partition on that drive, and it would be the one containing the OS, all your software, data files, etc.

One thing I discovered the other day (via a very helpful post from another fantastic user here), the Repair Permissions via Disk Utility only does that for Apple products. So, if I were you, after repairing the drive, I'd download the excellent freeware product called Oynx. Besides repair permissions for any software, it also has other useful cleaning features, along with some limited disk maintenance/repair features. You can get Onyx from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

Careful, though, as you'll need to get the right version, which depends on which OS you are using (explained below). (Like Safari that I mention below, there are "Related Links" on that page, which can get you the correct version).

If the OS on the iMac is Snow Leopard, and you are fine with using that (there have been 4 subsequent releases by Apple of the OS, the latest being Yosemite (in fact, an update to Yosemite, 10.10.3, came out 2 days ago)), make sure it is version 10.6.8. If it's anything less (like 10.6, for example), you can upgrade that (after all the repairs are done, and the machine is running fine) to 10.6.8 by downloading it from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1400?locale=en_US

Along with that, and assuming you use Safari as your browser, you'll need to get the latest version for Snow Leopard. You can get it from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15675/apple-safari

You'll need Version 5.1.10, which is listed under "Related Links".

If you have a different OS on the iMac, let us know, as it might not be the latest version.

If you run into problems trying to repair the drive, not sure how informative the messages are from Disk Utility regarding that. If that happens to be the case, it would be better if you had a more robust disk maintenance/repair program like Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro, even for the future. I have both products, but I use TechTool Pro just about exclusively as part of my disk maintenance/repair/backup weekly processing. It does help with me keeping both of my machines "mean and clean".

Finally, assuming you are not doing any backups, I would strongly suggest you start doing that for both of your machines. With Snow Leopard, there is no built in Apple program to do that. Later versions of the OS include Time Machine, which is "OK". But, that software does not create a bootable system (and thus an easy way to recover from a disaster). The two best products for making a bootable backup are either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. Both work very well. You can use SuperDuper! for free, although it will run somewhat slower than the paid version, and it does not have some additional (and useful) features like the paid version does. For the paid version, SuperDuper! costs $27.95 US, whereas Carbon Copy Cloner costs $39.99 US. You can get the "free" version of SuperDuper! from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13803/superduper

I can tell you from direct experience that SuperDuper! saved my "hide" twice when I had a couple of issues with my late 2012 Mac Mini. And, given that you have an external hard drive, you are actually just about ready to do the backups (you'll need to partition that external drive with at least two partitions, so that you can use each of those for backing up each of your machines).

For future reference, you should develop a process to performing "periodic" disk maintenance/repairs/backups. There are various tools you can use for that, and no one method is "better" than another. I use one method every week for both of my machines, and it involves 4 steps (for the 2nd through 4th steps, I use Onyx, TechTool Pro, and SuperDuper!. I am also constantly removing stuff from each of my machines that I no longer need (especially EMails)). But, some other folks here use s different approach (and some different products, with success).

There is also some other useful (and free) software that is available to maintain the health of your machines, but let's see where all this gets you.

Finally, it would be good to know the version of the OS on the 13" MacBook Pro. Also, once you have OS 10.6.8 on your iMac, you can upgrade to any of the 4 newer versions of the OS for free. In fact, you can upgrade all the way to Yosemite, Version 10.10.3.

I will check that on monday since all is close, and I need to get that cable.
I am 100% sure that is a corrupted firmware but I will try you way.

all 4 Imacs I remove the HD and boot it from my mac and works perfect.

Reaction score
Sorry you are having so many issues. I just did a google search on "issues for imac 12,2", and here is what came up (one of the links includes this discussion):

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=issues for imac 12,2

This particular one talks about hard drive "issues":

http://blog.macsales.com/10206-further-explained-apples-imac-2011-model-hard-drive-restrictions

Hopefully, some of that can help you.

By the way, do you have the same problem when you use a different hard drive (not from ANY of the iMacs) inside the machine?

Reaction score
Sorry you are having so many issues. I just did a google search on "issues for imac 12,2", and here is what came up (one of the links includes this discussion):

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=issues for imac 12,2

http://blog.macsales.com/10206-further-explained-apples-imac-2011-model-hard-drive-restrictions

By the way, do you have the same problem when you use a different hard drive (not from ANY of the iMacs) inside the machine?

Thanks for the support guys. I will read the list go google.
Any HD and USB. I did connect on the of the HD from 1 of the Imacs. It boot ok. I make also a installation outside the machine. test it in 2 macs. and still does not boot. I digg some articles. I will inform the client reading the 2 iMacs as see what we are going to do with it.

I will start sending for a new power supply. Is not the Video card. There are no errors or colors of any kind of a normal video card getting failed.

Reaction score

Question.
I can exchange the video card from late 2011 to the mid 2010? even that they use the same port, can it work? it just to check. but still. I am directed to the way PSU is faulty. Since there are no indication, that the video card is damage, could be the PSU is sending low power to activate. I check, that the moment of there freeze the sd card light and keyboard cap lock light turns off. I just talking here, but it could be posible.

Ask a Question