iMac problem - It won't boot

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum. I can see you already have awesome helping community running around.
Firstly I must apologize to you in advace for my english language. It isn't that great, but I hope I'll be able to explain you decent enough so you can understand my problem.

It all starteted one day, woke up, sat down to my computer, pressed the Power button. Everything seemed right. Except the fact that I was waiting aprox. 30 minutes for my Mac to start up.
I tried it again. Everything seems to be normal, you can hear start up sound, Apple logo appears, than you can see loading dots, but it doesn't move further from that.

See, I've read how to fix this issue, but non of the steps worked. (I'll list what I was doing in a minute)

First of all I'd like to tell you my iMac specifications, it's an older iMac:

20 inch
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor
4MB shared L2 cache
1 GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
320GB Serial ATA hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphics processor with 256 MB of GDDR3 SDRAM

OS was Mavericks

Things I've tried:
-Booting it in SafeMode - It doesn't let me
-fsck -fy - Says it found some issues, and it says after it's fixed, but still can't boot it
-Reset of PRAM/NVRAM doesn't change anything
-CMD + R - literally nothing shows up (some said I was really dumb not making recovery, and yes, I agree, I'm dumb)

What should I do, people?
Is there any way I can just reinstall system or anything like that? Install Windows or something? I have laptop here (pc laptop, old one as well) to use it somehow as an external hardrive or usb?
Is there a way I can install Windows 7 without booting my Mac all the way up (like commands in bios or something) ?

I'm dumb technology wise.
Sorry for my english, hope you understood my problem!
Thank you in advance!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try Option Command R this boots your mac up into internet recovery mode, you may be able to reinstall the OS this way but what about all your files?

You have no idea as to what the lead up to this issue might be?

Do you have access to another Mac? If you do there is a way you may be able to recover & back-up your files.

Reaction score
Try Option Command R this boots your mac up into internet recovery mode, you may be able to reinstall the OS this way but what about all your files?

You have no idea as to what the lead up to this issue might be?

Do you have access to another Mac? If you do there is a way you may be able to recover & back-up your files.

Hi Spawn_Dooley,
When I press CMD + R nothing happens, as I've said! It doesn't do anything for me. Just continues to load like I didn't press anything.

I don't mind loosing all files, but, see, problem is I don't have another Mac, neither I know someone who owns one in my area.

Is there any alternative way I can fix this issue?
As I've said I have laptop, I can download, Mac Os X Lion or something on my PC than burn it to DVD or something.

Reaction score
Note that Spawn_Dooley said to press Option-Command-R, not just Command-R.

Your best option might be to just purchased Snow Leopard, OS 10.6.8. You can get it form an Apple store:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

You should then be able to boot your machine from that Snow Leopard DVD, use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format the internal drive (assuming it is in good health), and then install OS 10.6.8, Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Note that Spawn_Dooley said to press Option-Command-R, not just Command-R.

Your best option might be to just purchased Snow Leopard, OS 10.6.8. You can get it form an Apple store:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

You should then be able to boot your machine from that Snow Leopard DVD, use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format the internal drive (assuming it is in good health), and then install OS 10.6.8, Snow Leopard.

Ugh, nothing happens when I press and hold Option-Command-R. (it's connected to internet, stable connection)

Reaction score
Since you do not have access to another Mac, and both trying to boot via Command+R and Option-Command-R does not work, my suggestion about purchasing Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.8, and comes on a DVD) seems to be the best way to go.

Ask a Question