WD external hard drive issues

Reaction score
My 1TB My Passport was working fine till yesterday on both ports of my 2013 macbook air. It isn't partitioned and is on exFAT.
Today however, it stopped being detected on either port. I couldn't find it on disk utility either. I tried restarting my Mac and tried using OSX disk utilities, but it wasn't there either.
However, it could be read on windows laptops. So I did a hard format(of exFAT) on a windows laptop and when I connected it to my Mac, it still couldn't read it.
However for some reason, the Mac reads the hard disk when I use an OTG cable.
Any ideas people? I'd really appreciate some help!

Reaction score
Hi,

Since exFAT is a closed format, Apple had to license it to integrate it into OS X 10.6.5 and later.
I know there were issues with snow leopard but thought all had been fixed with mountain lion in respect to your issue and the work round was to have formatted the disk on a Mac not a PC
exFAT has no file system-level encryption or compression support, and, like FAT32 before it, there is no journaling built into the exFAT file system. This means it has a much higher probability of data loss, so be careful. Also I do not think exFAT supported by Time Machine in OS X.

Ask a Question