Downloading Windows Media Player

Reaction score
I need to install the Windows Media Player to watch my microeconomics lectures. I went to the mac website and clicked on download and it starts loading Windows Media.sitx. It finishes loading and just sits there with its blank piece of paper next to it and I don't receive any further prompts to complete the installation. I'm sure there is a really simple solution that my ineptitude prevents me from detecting. Please help!

Reaction score
Hi All
I find that quite amusing. I downloaded WMP for mac just last night. Flip for mac is a good programme but it costs. Microsoft are not going to develop WMP for mac any longer just as they are not going to develop I.E. I think it all depends on what you want out of the app

Reaction score
Flip4mac is free. Flip4mac pro, studio, studio hd etc are at a cost. Flip4mac is plenty good to watch wmv files. It also integrates with isquint

Reaction score
I know what I need to download. The problem I have is that once I have clicked on "download", the "downloads" box opens and it loads, but AFTER "Windows Media.sitx" loads in the window, there are no further prompts to finish the installation. What am I missing? How do I install this from the Downloads window? There is only the image of a sheet of paper next to Windows Media.sitx in the window.

Reaction score
Hello Greenrescue.

You need a program called Stuffit expander to open the .sitx file. Install it, and then try opening that file. Give it a shot. Let us know how it goes. Sorry I don't have a link to Stuffit.

Reaction score
I know what I need to download. The problem I have is that once I have clicked on "download", the "downloads" box opens and it loads, but AFTER "Windows Media.sitx" loads in the window, there are no further prompts to finish the installation. What am I missing? How do I install this from the Downloads window? There is only the image of a sheet of paper next to Windows Media.sitx in the window.

As Searay indicated, you need Stuffit to open this archive. However, I placed WMP in a zip archive that your Mac should be able to open on my iDisk. I'll keep it up for a week or so. Here's the link-
http://snipr.com/1wvqo-foa8e1

Reaction score
are you sure mac os x can't open sitx files? what happens when you double click on the file?

Reaction score
Nothing happens when I double click on it.

Thanks for your help! I finally figured the thing out and watched the lecture.

Ask a Question