Downloading Windows media player for iMac

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get the mac version of windows media player and any other programs needed to listen to live streamed audio from various radio stations' websites. I downloaded the Flip4Mac WMV player and also WMPlayer7.1 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...64-5184-422A-91B6-20EED03E6175&displaylang=en

When I try to open and run the download from Microsoft, it will not install. I get a message "Safari can't open the file 'WMPlayer7_1_EN' because no available application can open it."

Any advice in getting me able to listen to internet streamed radio would be a big help, thanks!

Reaction score
It seems I may have gotten things figured out. A reboot of my Mac last night got things going. Though, now this morning it doesn't want to stream radio again...

Reaction score
So then please explain to me how I am to listen to a radio program that is being broadcast 625 miles away, that is streamed only via a microsoft program?

Don't get me wrong, I love my iMac, but I do still need to get things off the internet, even if they are only broadcast via windows programs.

Reaction score
in the past I have streamed radio in Australia through iTunes. From my experience in the past, you have an option of the type of stream. Mp3 will automatically go through iTunes.

Reaction score
Here's the link to Microsoft's page on Flip4Mac (for playing Windows Media content through QuickTime), and Windows Media Player 9 for mac (the only solution if you want to use DRM-protected Windows Media files): http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/flip4mac.mspx

Both should work for listening through the browser, but I am unsure as to whether WMP9 runs well on Intel machines, may be only a PowerPC program (and then run inside rosetta emulation on intel machines, which is a bit slower than native).

The WMP9 download page is a bit weird, at least to me it seems at first as if the only link is to WMP7.1, but you can scroll down the "Details" panel and then find download links on the bottom.

karazelle

Reaction score
So then please explain to me how I am to listen to a radio program that is being broadcast 625 miles away, that is streamed only via a microsoft program?

Don't get me wrong, I love my iMac, but I do still need to get things off the internet, even if they are only broadcast via windows programs.

I may be incorrect but I believe there were a misunderstanding. I believe parent poster was referring to whether you tried to get a Windows Executable file running on your Mac, which as you might know, won't work, instead of whether you wanted to get a program/solution to run that would solve the issue of listening to Windows Media streams.

The national broadcaster here has both WMA/WMV, OGG, MP3 and Silverlight (too bad for Linux users) support. I am able to listen to WMA/WMV in iTunes after installing the Flip4Mac drivers and then rebooting.

Ask a Question