.doc open as .zip

Reaction score
I have an issue that whenever I download a .docx (or any file types from the new Office 2010). I have Office 2008 for Mac which is suppose to open these files up correctly right? But it acts as a .zip file after I download it for some reason, it's very odd. When I go and extract the .zip file that saves it doesn't have the file, it has .xml files instead. I'm trying to get this to work for school and I'm hoping I can get it fixed.

This is a newer MacBook Pro running OSX - Snow Leopard.

Thank you for your time.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi Devek :)

You don't seem to be the only person having difficulties with .docx files ...

There are a few possibilities ... you could try a .docx convertor:

A Better Office .docx Converter

Convert docx to doc instantly

4 ways of converting the docx format to doc format!

I know you have Office 2008 installed, but you could also consider downloading the free OpenOffice.org suite which can open .docx files ...

OpenOffice.org/

OpenOffice.org 3 is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.

Reaction score
The issue with converting though is that it downloads as a .zip file, not a docx. I can have as .docx format, however whenever I hit download on my school's site it will just download as a .zip file with only XML files inside so it would be impossible to covert.

Thanks for your reply :)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Can you let me know which browser you are using?

Have you tried changing the prefix from .zip to .docx? You will see a window asking you if you're sure you want to change the prefix ... just select yes ... you can always change it back if you need to ...

I'm in the process of researching the issue but it's nearly 1 am here and I'm off to bed.

We'll sort this out one way or another!

Ask a Question