Distorted speakers

Reaction score
The sound on my 2009 MacBook Pro suddenly went distorted on both speakers at the same time.
Is it likely they would both fail together or could it be a software problem?
Thanks for any help offered,
John

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I would say it is unlikely that both speakers would fail simultaneously. It could be a few other things causing it.

-Does it happen for all audio - startup chime, iTunes, DVD Player, YouTube videos, etc.?
-Do you have any third-party system-level software installed - like Boom3D, LoopBack, SoundSource, etc.?
-Does it happen with headphones/external speakers?

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory,
It happens on all audio through the macbook pro speakers but not through the headphones or external speakers.
I don't have any system-level software installed as far as I know.
John

Reaction score
OK...

I would try the following resets:
-How to reset the SMC of your Mac
-Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Let us know if that helps.

C
Hi Cory,
I have tried both those fixes to no effect.
I am wondering if it could be the equaliser settings as it is most pronounced on the bass notes, especially the 'Start-Up' chime, which is really distorted. However, I cannot find the equaliser controls now and wouldn't it be the same distortion when through headphones and external speakers if it was the equaliser?
Thanks for your patience,

John

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply...

If it happens on the startup chime as well, then it is a hardware issue with the speakers and/or the audio board, since macOS has not loaded at that point and there wouldn't be any software (like an equalizer) loaded yet. If it is normal through headphones/external speakers, then I would lean towards the speakers themselves.

C

Reaction score
OH right, thank you.
Any idea how much two speakers would cost and where to buy them?

John

Reaction score
Hi John,

I use a pair of Logitech z200 Speakers with my late 2018 Mac Mini (purchased them quite a while ago):

Ones which are black in front are less expensive:

But for purchasing speakers, I assume there are a number of parameters to look at, along with personal taste.

Not sure where you are located. I am just south of Seattle, and there are a number of stores where a variety of speakers are available. And then of course one could get them on line.

Reaction score
Thanks Marty,

I'm wanting to replace my built-in speakers in my Macbook Pro mid 2009, not use external speakers which I already have.
I live in Southern England by the way.
Thanks anyway,

John

Reaction score
Thanks Marty,

I'm wanting to replace my built-in speakers in my Macbook Pro mid 2009, not use external speakers which I already have.
I live in Southern England by the way.
Thanks anyway,

John
Sorry I misunderstood. By the way, our oldest son lives in Richmond. I am located just south of Seattle, Washington.

Ask a Question