Distorted sound (macbook)

Reaction score
Hey... Got a problem.. The sound coming out of my macbook pro is all distorted, and it isn't only through the speakers of my macbook, but with whatever sound device i plug in to it.
It is annoying especially when i am hearing music.

But also after playing a bit around with my macbook i have noticed that when i use the youtube downloader Get tube there is no distortion and the sound is perfectly clear.
Else it sounds like if i have plucked a broken equalizer to my mac or so...

I am thinking whether anyone know this problem and even better a solution?

Thank you

Reaction score
Check your iTunes > Window > Equaliser settings

I know about the eq in itunes... And it is disabled. Also the problem isn't only in iTunes but pretty much in any program on my mac...

My first reaction was that I thought my sound card was broken but i've, as i said, found out that in the program Get Tube, the sound is perfectly clear

Reaction score
Yes, it is. I havn't got any USB sound devices but yes it is the same through the jack whatever device i plug in.

Reaction score
Get Tube, the sound is perfectly clear
that might not be using the built in Amp.

I'd try deleting your Quicktime preferences, if that doesn't help it points to a hardware problem. Need to take it to an Apple Service Centre and get their diagnosis. I hope you have extended AppleCare.

Reaction score
Okay, thank you alot for your help. Shouldn't the warranty cover it, my mac is only 6 months old?

Where do i find my quicktime preferences?

Reaction score
my mac is only 6 months old?
yes you have AppleCare. I'm not Apple, but I would imagine it would.

If you are on Lion
Finder > Go with the Option Key held down > Library

Library > Preferences > com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist
and
Library > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences

Reaction score
Am i supposed to delete the files? I've done that and the sound quality is still as terrible as it has ever been

Reaction score
Yes, QuickTime will just remake them.

Ok, I can't think of anything else, other than taking it to get repaired.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try launching, then quitting Garageband. Sounds like voodoo and it is. Has worked for others so what's there to lose?

Reaction score
I have finally solved the problem!
My Mac came with this pre-installed application, Hear, and after the trial was up i havn't used it... Anyway in the background, without me knowing, an application called hear daemon has been running, and it seems that it caused all the troubles after all...

To anybody reading this tread with a similar problem: Go to preferences > Accounts > Login items and make sure that hear daemon does NOT!!! start with the os

Ask a Question