Screen display ( distorted and double vision lines on start up (imac 2006 20" NZ)

Reaction score
Hi
I have a NZ imac bought in 2006/7 metal casing the screen has recently become unuseable due to screen being distorted, what i am looking for, is the issue a hard drive or graphic break down.

I would like to know if i can replace the hard drive with an SSD type and replace with a new graphic card, can any of you techs out there give me some advice on the issue and where best to get replacement parts from.
I look forward to seeing your responses. Model A1224

MacIan

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I agree with oldscribe, it is probably the graphics card and/or the LCD panel itself. Parts for those older iMacs can be difficult to find, and it isn't advised to perform the repair yourself.

You could try connecting an external monitor to see if the distortion is present on it as well. If so, then it's the graphics card. If not, it is more likely the LCD panel.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I agree with oldscribe, it is probably the graphics card and/or the LCD panel itself. Parts for those older iMacs can be difficult to find, and it isn't advised to perform the repair yourself.

You could try connecting an external monitor to see if the distortion is present on it as well. If so, then it's the graphics card. If not, it is more likely the LCD panel.

C
Thankyou both for your valued advice!

Ask a Question