2007 mac displays a grey screen with black & white diagonal lines does anyone have any ideas

Reaction score
my 2007 mac displays a grey screen with black and white diagonal lines I have tried all the reboot suggestion I could find and tried to reinstall nothing works any idea as to what is wrong and should I even try to have it repaired. If not repair how do I wipe the drive with my personal info thanks my first post hope it is OK

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Is this a 2007 MacBook Pro? If so, the cause of that issue is usually the graphics chip on the logic board. The logic board needs to be replaced.

Cost would depend on where you are located. In the US, Apple offers a flat-rate repair program.

C

Reaction score
it's a IMAC I will check at apple store for cost. thanks do you know if I can wipe it if I decide not to repair ?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If it's an iMac, it is still the same issue - graphics board. That repair will be several hundred dollars at minimum.

You CAN wipe it if it still boots and doesn't freeze.

-Do you have a backup?
-Do you have another Mac that you can use with the iMac in Target Disk Mode?

C

Reaction score
If it's an iMac, it is still the same issue - graphics board. That repair will be several hundred dollars at minimum.

You CAN wipe it if it still boots and doesn't freeze.

-Do you have a backup?
-Do you have another Mac that you can use with the iMac in Target Disk Mode?

C
NO IT DOES NOT BOOT UP SO I CAN WIPE IT I HAVE BACK-UP BUT NOT THE MOST RECENT I AM JUST CONCERNED ABOUT GETTING RID OF IT WITHOUT IT BEING WIPED THANKS

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If it chimes and there is no display, and you don't have another Mac for Target Disk Mode, then it will be impossible to backup/wipe.

If you take it to an Apple Store and decide not to repair it, you could ask them if they would wipe it for you. There may be a charge, but that would pretty much be your only option.

C

Ask a Question