Mac Pro 1,1 boots,chimes but no screen display.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Having a problem with my 2006 mac pro. The other day the system crashed and no it boots, chimes but no display! I can still press the caps lock button and it lights, again the light on the front stays there too!

The mac is a A1186 upgraded to dual quad core processors and 32gb of ram.

So far I have reset the NVRAM, changed my graphics card from a GTX 560 to a HD 5770 and still no luck. I can also boot from my ssd on another mac.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm stuck

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few additional questions:
-This is a Mac Pro - MacPro1,1?
-What do you mean by "upgraded to dual quad core processors" - were the processors replaced at some point?
-What brand/model are the RAM sticks? Do you have the original Apple RAM sticks to put in to test?
-Are the graphics cards Apple OEM or firmware hacked Windows versions? The original (2006) Mac Pro came with one of these: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, GeForce 8800 GT, Quadro FX 4500, or ATI Radeon X1900 XT. The HD5770 came with a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and isn't backwards compatible with older Mac Pros. GTX560 never came from Apple in a Mac Pro.
-Have you tried another display to rule that out?
-Which version of OS X?

C

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, been away. Yeah it's a MacPro 1,1, it came with two dual core which I upgraded a few months ago and has been working perfectly. The new Ram sticks are Kingston (not completely sure) and yes I have the originals. I have tried swapping them out and still nothing.
So the one I have in at the min is a Apple OEM and the GTX560 is firmware hacked I guess ( came with the PC).

I have tried multiple displays and It is currently running OS El Capitan with modified EFI.

Anything else just feel free to ask!

Thank you

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...thanks for the additional.

-I have seen that the ATI Radeon HD 5770 will work in an original MacPro1,1.
-There may be an issue with the dual quad-core processors - where did you source them from? Your logic board may not fully support them, even though they worked for a while.
-The modified EFI may be an issue as well.

It is starting to sound like some form of issue with the logic board and all of the modifications - processors, EFI mod, non-standard video card, etc.

C

Reaction score
Thank you!

Okay so I could put the original processors back in and check. They were from China as a matched pair.
- I have also made another boot HDD with the EFI and tried that, also no luck.
- I have the original graphics card on the way so when It arrives I will make the mac standard and go from there!

Reaction score
Update!

So I thought I'd reinstall El Capitan on a spare HDD, I put it in the Mac and nothing, however in the rage of the moment I button mashed the keyboard... and well the OS loaded! I then reinstalled the OS on my SSD and did the same and yeah the MP is working absolutely fine! I guess something corrupted on my SSD and the mac didn't want to boot!

Thank you for the help though! Appreciate it!

Steve

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Wow...excellent. Glad it's working for you. Didn't figure it could be a corrupted drive...guess we all learn sometimes. ;)

Be well,

C

Reaction score
Glad you got it resolved. It would be best if you get into the habit of doing the following tasks on a frequent basis:

1. Perform disk cleanup, maintenance, and repairs, from a software perspective. You actually can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) to assist you.

2. Do backups to an external device. Time Machine is OK, but either using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner is better.

Reaction score
hi can someone help me i have a A1186 with same graphics card but no signal this card as come out off a working machine but wont work in mine

Ask a Question