Difficulties with iCloud and file sharing

Reaction score
Dear Helpers,

Fom what I understand from iCloud manuals I believe I can share a file in iCloud and send it to people I invite even if they are using Windows.

In order to be able to send it by Mail I was required to activate iCloud Mail. OK. (I did not use 'Copy link' yet).

Sending in itself is already difficult. In most cases (>90%) I get the warning: 'Unable to share with Mail, try again later' ( Mail=iCloud mail ??)

How could I avoid this?

Sometimes however it works, but then the person receiving the mail cannot open the attached file I wanted to share. He told me he was asked for his Apple Id. But he uses Windows. For me this requirement is contradicting what I thought the manuals told me.

Who can help me to understand this behaviour?

I use MBAir 2020, macOS Monterey 12.5

Thanks for your answers, Dirk

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,
  • How large are the files?
  • Sounds like maybe the Sharing settings aren't correct, since it is prompting them to sign into iCloud.
C

Reaction score
Hello Cory. The files I used for testing iCloud were only a few MB.
No idea what went wrong with the sharing settings. Do you?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

No, not sure what happened, as I haven't used that feature myself.

Maybe try creating a new folder with a copy of the file and then share it and see what happens?

C

Ask a Question