Enormous difficulties with Printer drivers (Uninstalling & Reinstalling) Cannon MP280

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm starting to achieve a total mental breakdown here.

This afternoon I copied some documents with my Cannon PIXMA MP280, then I went to print a document and here's where my troubles started.

The printer prompted me that It was off-line. It definately wasn't, every cable was where it should be, the printer was on and it worked beautifully a week ago.

I proceed to google the problem, I don't find much but someone advised towards updating drivers. I went to cannons homepage and got the latest drivers, installed them and restarted my computer. Here's where my troubles got even worse.

I try to print a document and I get prompted that I have no printer installed or it can't find one. I go to system preferences/printers & faxes and there you go, no printer is chosen. When i go to "add new printer" there is none listed at any of the tabs, for instance at the tab to the far left, there is no printers listed. I go to the tab at the far right and after it checks for installed drivers the list turns out COMPLETELY EMPTY!
You CAN list Cannon at the top dropdown list but the list is always empty.

So I can't see any drivers or any printers and no matter what drivers I try to install (tried all from cannons homepage for my version of OS X and I tried installing the drivers from scratch from the CD that came with the printer) the list stays empty.

I proceeded to google if there was any way to wipe ALL drivers and then maybe reinstall to get a fresh go at it, no luck. I did however seem to remove the Cannon folder from somewhere (I think library/printers or something), somwhere along the lines in an attempt to delete drivers. So now, the dropdown list when I am to add a new printer cannon isnt even there as an option anymore (ive included an image below).

So I tried to Boot my system from my Mac OS X Install disc to use disc repair per someones advice on a forum but THAT doesn't work. I can't boot from the disc no matter HOW hard I try. I just never get to the installer menu (I tried restarting my computer about 30 times holding C or alt).

Is there someone out there that has experienced similar problems or can help me out in any way? This has cost me 6 hours as of right now and im startin to get that narly feeling to punch a hole through my screen..

If there's any solution that doesn't include wiping my hardrive that would be much appreciated. I mean, HOW CAN THIS BE SUCH A DIFFICULT PROBLEM??

System Specs:

Leopard 10.5.8
Printer: Cannon PIXMA MP280

Attachments

• Bild 8.png
    Bild 8.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 373
Reaction score
Re: Enormous difficulties with Printer drivers (Uninstalling & Reinstalling) Cannon M

Hi,

I use this as one of my printers and never had issues, first make sure you have fully deleted all folder relating to this printer. You mention library/printers!!! you will also find a folder in Library > application support folder and preferences folders etc Just to name a few. Also your Application folder as screen shot.

You really need to fully remove all the cannon related folders,then run a new install from the Canon disk.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 14.15.31.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 14.15.31.png
    105.1 KB · Views: 304
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 14.15.44.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 14.15.44.png
    157 KB · Views: 317

Ask a Question