Deactivating mouse keys from account login screen

Reaction score
One of our laptops in our small office ran out of battery. When we turned it back on, it had the 'mouse keys' feature turned on. We aren't sure how or why this happened.

With the MK setting turned on we can't login to the user account on the laptop. We have tried the shortcut for turning MK off (pressing option key 5 times) but it doesn't work. We can't access system preferences from the user login screen in order to manually turn off the MK setting.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can turn off the MK setting from the user login screen or access system preferences from that screen?

Reaction score
I actually managed to solve part of this issue. I managed to enter the correct password by using a USB keyboard and login to the user account. The keyboard worked normally once logged in and I checked the system preferences and the MK setting was not enabled...WEIRD!

When I shut down and get to the login screen upon starting up again, the same issue remains. Its like the mouse keys setting is stuck on but only when the laptop is on the account login screen.

Ask a Question